250 Sperimentale photo (With photo!) | FerrariChat

250 Sperimentale photo (With photo!)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Kalidengas, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kalidengas

Kalidengas Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    #1 Kalidengas, Dec 31, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    This 250 Sperimentale is c/n 2643 GT, for the history look at:
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/2643GT.250GT.htm

I know that the color of this car during the '61 Le Mans was dark blue with a italian flag-stripe.
    In '62 during the Le Mans race it was white with 2 blue stripes over the car.

During the Le mans race in 1961 the 250 GT Sperimentale berlinetta (#2643GT) had failed to finish and did not meet Ferrari’s expectations. During the practice #2643GT was about 20 seconds a lap slower than the competition of its class (3000 sports). So Carlo Chiti promised to do better during the race, but halfway through the race 2643GT had an engine failure.

3. Kalidengas

Kalidengas Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    Thanks for your help but the information that you give in your kind reply i already have, the thing is that this one, with this colors, i have never seen before, not even in the fantastic barchetta.cc. Perhaps 1963 Le Mans tests?Failed to qualify?The 250 Sperimentale is one of the most interesting Ferrari ever!

4. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Without digging in my records for the year (sometime in the early '80s as I recall -- could have been 1984) I'd bet this is at the Monterey Historic Auto Races at Laguna Seca Raceway in California, when the car was shown by then-owner Bob Taylor, who had restored in it these colors.

I think once the car was sold on to Italy it was again restored in red, and I think it remains so today, although I haven't seen it in years. (Incidentally, when it lived in the Miami area for years, it was painted yellow and green!)

5. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe