355-need sources for side pinstripe (replacing) | FerrariChat

355-need sources for side pinstripe (replacing)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by EVartanian, Nov 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am talking about the 1/4" matte black pinstripe on the sides of the car. The dealers apparently can't help, even though there is a part number for this. I have tried Kragen Auto Parts, and though they have a large selection of pinstripes, they only have one in a glossy black finish. The brand that they carry is called Prostripe (by Avery).

Would appreciate suggestions for where to find one that matches the original matte black finish of the original. If any of you have had luck with a dealer supplying this for you then even better. The quality of the OEM is fantastic and would like something of a similar quality that won't crack and such as some pinstripe kits do. I think the OEM is made of vinyl. Thanks.

-Eric

2. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    I always thought it was just Italian electrical tape, no? <smile>

3. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ha, maybe...hmm, now where to find some.

4. jchiarella

jchiarella Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I removed the stripe on my Yellow 355 on purpose - liked the look better. You can get almost any sign shop to cut the strip for you at any width you desire from a wide selection of vinyl materials (recommend Scoth 220 Outdoor vinyl) it may not be the most cost effective because the minimum vinyl width is about 15" roll, but you can cut multiple stripes across the roll and proably only need about 4' section to do whole car. Better solution might be to paint pinstripe - would look better at door seams for sure. If you want to go the vinyl solution I might have something that would work.

5. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    any good autobody supply store will have 3M scotchcal stripping. ask to see their 3M stripe chart. they make a black vinyl in all widths imaginable. 70203 is 1/4in small roll 70226 is 1/4in 150' roll

6. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. I will look into the 3M Scotchal and see what that turns up.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Interesting - Does anyone have a pic of this on their car?

Does anyone know what the 328 has on the side of the car? Is it paint or tape?

My 328 had tape on it that was starting to wear. I peeled it off - I thought a prior owner must have put it on... Would that be original on a 328? Or should it be painted there?

Thanks