355 Sticky mess | FerrariChat

355 Sticky mess

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by delaney, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Has anyone tried to strip off the sticky mess on 355 bits that have been messed up with cleaners. I believe it's the rubber paint that's all screwed up.
    I've tried a few general cleaners but nothing touches it.

I'd like to strip off the mess and spray with paint.

Any ideas welcome.

Pete

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Search the archives, incl the old Fchat ones. There are some tips on dealing with this PITA problem.

You'd think that Ferrari would want to make good on such a lousy choice of materials...

3. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Gee I thought they got the message with 348's you mean they're still using that crap on the 355?

I just took it all off and soaked the plastic ones in Dentured Alcohol, then scrubbed it with a stiff plastic brush, Metal parts can be placed in lacquer thinner, not the plastic ones though. It's a real mess. The parts I screwed up I had to replace.

Use satin black Krylon or other quality spray paint.

It's a combination of heat and humidity that causes it to start melting.

You touch it and then touch your leather and that'll send you screaming!

4. malibumk

malibumk Karting

May 14, 2002
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Klein
    Pete:
    I've found that you can use accatone on a cloth and it will seem like you are wet sanding in that it feathers the edges out nicely. No need to remoe it all. It is a messy job....best if you have rubbler gloves.

Also, for all the hoopla of repainting with the rubberized paint to replicate the factory feel, I find that Rustolium Black "Satin" in arrosol cans does a much better job. The rubber paint does't lay well and is fragile too. I've done a bunch of them and am firm in my conclusions. The only part that none of us have a solutuion for is the a/c panel.

Last; on the a/c vents, I mask the indentations with the white arrows to preserve this detail, and treat them the same way.

You can do every black part in the car.

Also; for any parts that are warped from heat: I've had success carefully warming them with a flame and stratightening them before refinishing.

A lot of work here.

Good luck. MK

5. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Mike,

Thanks for the note. Slowly but surely the 'stuff' came off with acetone and scraping with a stanley blade .. what a mess. Then I use wet & dry to smoothe out the rest of it. Currently working on the upper and lower part of the steering column. Next are the inner door handles and then onto the central controls. Then the dash leather.

I will use paint ... not plastic to finish the job.

Still .. counting my lucky stars ... only had the car 1 day when the check engine light went on. Down to the main dealer .. two new cats @ ~ $3600 a piece ... I was within my 8 year/80k emission warranty by 6 weeks!!

Thanks for all your help.

Pete