360 spider or 360 modena? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 spider or 360 modena?

Discussion in '360/430' started by FerrariFreak85, Oct 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    360 spider's weight is reasonable; as much as a 355 berlinetta due to the revised chassis.

However, being a convertible means other performance detriments, such as lack of rigidity (and obviously excess weight over the coupe)

I am always torn between open-top cars and my value of performance. Does anyone else wish Ferrari still built targas? :(

2. FerrariFreak85

Oct 2, 2007
    Larkspur, California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Lee
    Come to think of it, that seems true.
    It just feels like its too hot or too cold if the top is down.

KC360 FL likes this.
  3. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    The spider is more of a traditional sports car, drop the top, hear nothing but the wind and beautiful melody of a Ferrari. Otherwise get the hard top, talk on your cell phone, listen to the radio and almost forget what your driving.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  4. jim frank

jim frank Karting

Mar 29, 2006
    florida
    Full Name:
    jim
    I've always owned convertables and I do probably "Pose" for the pretty girls sometimes,but I would do that if I owned a coup. Putting down all spider owners as a class is lame. I've heard some bikers say they would never own a car because it's like being in a "cage". A convertable is less like a cage and that's one reason to have it.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  5. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C

Nonjudgemental statements = Shows intelligence
    Statements such as yours = mindless

Apollo 11 likes this.
  6. Arthur Leonard

Feb 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    fogbank1
    nothing like the top down spin in a 360, loud. fast and beautiful

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    If you "almost forget what you are driving" then you are not "driving" your Ferrari. Especially if it's a coupe.

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The lines are much more complete and are essential to the beautiful design of the 360 with a roof. A convertible is an added expense. Great when working; when it gets older and doesn't, not so great-- and expensive to repair.

+1 on the idea of a convertible being not as "use-able" . Depends on where you live. Here in Florida the summers and the sun are ridiculous. I gave up riding my motorcycles in the summer. The hot sun on your head (and I do still have a full head of hair), the heat from the road and surrounding cars at stoplights completely takes the romance out of it quickly. In Florida it can and does often rain at the drop of a hat and even the winters here are pretty non-existent anymore. Maybe a handful 0f wonderful days you would actually enjoy the top down and your hair being blown all over the place. And if you have a girlfriend or wife with you, closely observe how much they're enjoying their hair being blown into knots. ;)

Most times it's the romance of the idea of a convertible that sells. But in real life, I don't see it as a really useful thing. Especially on a 360 that both needs to be driven hard and often.

Body flex is real and it takes it's toll. But if as you say this is only a show piece for you, then maybe it's the right choice.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    KC360FL hit the nail on the head with his comments. Convertibles can rarely be enjoyed in the hot, muggy South. Had 4 drop tops over the years and rarely dropped them. If you live in the Mtns, different story. And driving around in the city with no top? Derek Trotter's comments hit the nail on that head.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Arthur bumps a 12 year old thread and "We're Off!"

tomconte, E60 M5 and Jeffg11 like this.
  11. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Yeah. Spider vs Modena is like Democrat vs Republican.

12. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    On the perfect day the spider is just a beautiful thing. However...

In New England the early spring and into the winter I still drive unless there is snow/salt. Plus I never did like the looks of the spider with top up.

I also don’t want to take the risk of a mechanical/fabric/hydraulic issue. Just not worth my time and expense.

My wife has an m roadster, so It would be superfluous.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    From a maintenance standpoint, an F1 360 Spider is the worst combination that you can get. If that doesn't bother you, go for it!

14. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    Not everyone values the same things, so I say; to each their own. And I don't understand disparaging remarks about anyone who holds a different set of values. Let people enjoy "their thing", whatever that is.

I bought a spider because I absolutely love the open air driving experience. Degraded performance? Additional maintenance? Perhaps, but I value the experience over numbers in this case. I don't care for a lot of attention, so that can get a bit awkward at times, but when it does, I just remind myself that I have always been that gawker myself.

DriveOn!

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +360

I have a hardtop Porsche with enough HP, 335/35/18 tires and a 6 sp - 3 pedals tranny. It corners like its on rails. That's its function for me.
    When the wife and I go for weekend drives (long or short) it is the 360 Spider that we both want.

Like you said, that's "our thing". One isn't better than the other because each has its own function (to me).

I'm 360 Canuck and Silentnoiz like this.
  16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I’m on my 3rd Gated 360 Spider so I guess I like them :). I use the 458 Italia for my “coupe” experience;). If possible try driving both 360 coupe and spider versions to see what feels better for you. Hard to beat driving the open Gated Spider at night. Just glorious.

I'm 360 Canuck and Dewinator like this.
  17. Targaflorio0199

Targaflorio0199 Karting

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Targa
    All down to personal preference at the end of the day.

When deciding recently which 360 to buy, I wanted a good condition, late model, low miles, coupe manual. But at the end of the day, that just wasn’t available. Very rare here in Australia.

Could have gone F1 paddles coupe, with a few that weren’t really looked after well.

So in the end chose a 2005 spider in great condition, low miles. Have pushed it to 6000 rpm in 2nd. Great sound. No regrets.

Something to be said about open top motoring.

Dewinator likes this.
  18. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Yeah I originally wanted to get a blue coupe but ended up with a blue spider because of availability on the market and don't regret it for a second.

On for instance my 911, there are tubes to bring more engine noise into the cabin, but the 360 doesn't have any such trickery. The glorious 40v noise is really restricted from the cabin unless you put the top down. Living on the West Coast makes it a much nicer environment for topless driving though, I can see where it might not be worth it in other parts of the country.

19. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    The fact that people come onto a forum to ask others what they should buy when it come to a vehicle is mind boggling . You are always going to have the spider lovers that are going to say "spider" and the coupe lovers that say "modena" . Its your car and if you want something , get it !

I understand if people come on here to discuss what brand of basically the same part others would choose and why.....but not the whole car ???

Makes me wonder sometimes if the moderators or owners of forums have people post just to driver more traffic their way ???

20. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    I chose the spider (and I’m not a hair dresser or a poser). First, the spider top is an additional potential mechanical problem. I bought mine knowing this was the case, and also decided that the premium $ was worth having a gorgeous drop top. I don’t plan on racing my 360 at the track, but that doesn’t mean I won’t drive it hard sometimes and still take the little wifey out on the town sometimes. Best of both worlds.

Second, the added cost for a spider will likely hold upon resale (so no net loss).

And finally, just remember ANY Ferrari is (at best) a bit of an ownership challenge. Parts are expensive if you don’t know the cross-referenced parts, and ever shop can work on these cars successfully. So spider or coupe not much difference compared to owning a Boxster or Miata.

Good luck, and enjoy the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Dewinator likes this.
  21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  22. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    I also have a 360 spider 6-speed and never once was worried about body and chassis flex while ripping it through gears at 8,500 rpm. If you want a real track car, you wouldn’t buy a Ferrari at all.

23. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I also have a 360 spider 3-pedal 6 speed and
    I will be the first to admit that it is 'enough' car for me

Apollo 11, My 1st and Targaflorio0199 like this.