87 Mondial - How do I remove center console? | FerrariChat

87 Mondial - How do I remove center console?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Crony, Aug 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crony

Crony Rookie

Jul 14, 2004
    Canada
    Can someone give me a little guidance in how to do this.

2. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've got an '86 Mondial 3.2 cab and I sure would like to know the very same thing about removing the center console, climate control switches, and lighter. (I want to replace the Italian lighter with a standard one.) I've been checking with my dealer, but their guy that knows all about Ferrari interior work is at the National Meet in NY. I just wanted to reply though to warn you NOT to get impatient and accidentally break/scratch/damage the center console cover. Apparently they are impossible to find an nobody makes them anymore. I'll post some info and pics as soon as I get some info our of my dealer. Suprised no one else chimed in though...

3. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    I have an 88 3.2 so I assume it's the same.

Start by loosening the nut under the shifter knob, then remove the knob and nut.

Remove the shifter gate (remember to put it back correctly)

take out the ashtry inerds, rremove two small black screws

Open the small storage flap and remove the two small black screws at the front.

Scooch things around and get them to loosen up - disconnect the connector for the ashtray light (don't forget to put it back, and there you are -

That gives you pretty good access - enough to change out the lighter, etc.

4. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for the info on the console removal. My intention was only to remove the panel where the controls are, as removing the two screws in the ashtray loosens the front of that panel. I was lost as to how the rear of the panel could be loosened up, and now I see lifting the whole console proivides the answer. One more question - how do you remove the climate control knobs? I know the other switches pop out from underneath, but I'm not sure about the temp & fan speed knobs. The reason I ask is that I had my passenger window switch go bad just recently. I got the whole sad story about how they're not available anymore and where I could look and that it would be at least $100, etc. etc. So I went home, snuck the switch out from under the loosened top of the console switch panel, cleaned the heck out of it with electronic contact cleaner, applied dielectric grease, and viola - it works like new and I'm only out a few bucks for cleaner and grease. I'd like to clean and grease the other switches this winter to prevent their early demise as well - hence the questions here. Thanks again for the info!

5. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    By the way Crony - I bet more people would have seen this thread if it were on the "Model Specific" "308/328/Mondial" forum. Just my two cents. Thanks.

6. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    It takes three hands to remove the climate controls. Use a small Allen wrench to remove the knob on top, then there are two retainer nuts that have to come off underneath. If you have someone to help hold the console top and the undertray apart then it's pretty easy.

Don't ask me how I know all this!