'98 550 on Copart | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'98 550 on Copart

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 4re Nut, Jan 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    It appears it does have a clean title, and no accidents reported. I will run a Carfax next.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Total loss but clean title huh? My Florida buddies sure know all the tricks.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  3. OrmondStar

OrmondStar Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2019
    Lake Mary, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Perfect example of “buying the seller”

I’ve seen some pretty shady cars offered by this dealer over the years and wouldn’t set foot in their lot.

4. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Clean as in no ketchup or coffee stains on it.

rhern213 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Again, it just looks bent in the pix...

6. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I don't think it would have been totaled over a bent control arm. The force that bent it likely compromised the frame integrity.

rhern213 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  7. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Control arms often bend the frame before they go themselves. Remember, they are generally triangular - the strongest shape...

8. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I doubt the frame is bent, it is immensely strong. Wishbones are pressed steel (very thin steel) and welded.
    But something is seriously wrong and at least in Europe it probably won't pass any MOT. Makes you wonder why they take the trouble of fairing the body and painting it (cheaply, see pic of left hand bonnet hinge) and not fix the suspension while that is so obviously damaged. Replacement parts are not that expensive and the whole front suspension is simply bolted in.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I would imagine the insurance companies have a system that assesses micro-damage to a frame after a hit of a certain force, and the speed of this one landed it in the totaled zone, no inspection required. Which makes one wonder what the title status was after the incident, and if the brief trip to PA washed it. Or even more likely, the next move to Kansas. At this point it is probably a better candidate for a GTC replica.

10. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I had a Honda 15yrs ago that I bought as a rebuilt title, which clearly said so in both the carfax and physical title. However, when I actually registered the car to my name and received the physical title later in the mail, the title showed as clean. That left me believing the rebuilt label on the physical title itself is just a checkbox the clerk at the title office marks when sending it to the state. So they must have accidentally not checked off that it was a rebuilt title. To which in that case I'm sure someone with a connection can just slip $100 to the title clerk to "accidentally" not check the box.

In either case the carfax should specifically say it was issued a salvage title on the Arkansas title issue.
    It was a total loss, so the insurance company had to take the car back themselves and issue it a salvage title under their name.
    It leads me to believe the carfax report is not showing all the correct info. I've seen several times when one reporting agency like carfax does not show a specific issue and another agency like say autocheck does show the detail.
    If it's not a carfax report issue, I don't know how it's possible they washed it on the history report. Or even why they would go through the trouble if the report already shows it was a total loss anyway.

I'd like to think someone spending $100k+ on a car would do their homework, but many have been tricked into much worse so who knows. Hopefully we won't be reading a post soon of a horror story.

11. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Only clue is the record dated 2/8/2012 and the explanation provided in the Glossary yet Autocheck still shows clean title with well above average autocheck score.

12. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Wow, that's even worse