430 - Cracked Catalytic Converter | FerrariChat

430 Cracked Catalytic Converter

Discussion in '360/430' started by Cinque, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    I wanted to reach out to 430 owners to see if anyone has experience a cracked catalytic converter? For everything we hear about cracked manifolds, I was shocked to find I have a cracked OEM cat. On a recent drive I began hearing an awful rattling noise from the engine bay. I pulled the car over as quickly as possible and determined the rattle was coming from the area of one of the cats. I turned the car off and I inspected the cat and could see the line of a crack on the exterior surface.

Has anyone else with a 430 had one of their OEM cats crack? Somebody had mentioned to me that since the cats are an emissions related part, Ferrari has to warranty them for 80,000 miles. Does anybody know whether there is any truth to this?

How about repairing the cat by welding it?

One thing I definitely don't want to do is go with an aftermarket cat as I prefer to keep things more stock and I have heard the aftermarket cat options are much louder and cause CELs, so I am trying to investigate my options with regard to OEM cats.

Any experiences or advice is much appreciated?

2. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Is the cat actually cracked or is the heat shield damaged/loose? I've seen the former a couple of times and the latter all the time (easily fixed by tacking it back in place).

Red 27 likes this.
  3. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    The cat is actually cracked as I could feel exhaust blowing out of the crack. I'd be curious what you have seen others do in this particular case?

Thanks in advance!

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    8 years/80k miles and limited to very specific items...you are out of luck. California is 7 years/70k miles, but covers more items.

5. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Thanks for the clarification on the warranty.

6. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Being out of warranty, I guess my next question is can an OEM cat be welded and repaired if cracked?

As I know the price for a new OEM header is astronomical...

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Look on e bay for a used one, people fitting after market ones so the oem does come up

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'd look at both options, assuming the catalyst core is undamaged, it should not be an issue to weld it. BUT, I would be concerned with what caused it to crack in the first place, as that seems like an unusual failure point. I wouldn't slap a used replacement or weld up the damaged one without investigating a little. Maybe just a fluke?

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The problem welding up old exhausts is they will never be right, its near impossible to get the metal completely clean, so u dont get the best weld. Its worth a try as should not cost much to do and could last a good while

10. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    #10 Cinque, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Good point, I really haven't heard of cats cracking on the 430. Manifolds yes, but haven't heard about cats which was part of my reason for this thread was to see how many other owners have experienced similar. I have fabspeed headers on the car now, so can't logically think of why a cat would fail, but I am more than welcome to any ideas or speculation from others!

In terms of my own speculation, my factory manifolds never cracked (I put fabspeed headers on proactively) so perhaps I had a failure at the cat instead as we all know that the 430 exhaust mounting system is rumored to be too rigid. Again, just a guess, but would really love to hear from others more experienced working on the 430.

11. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    #11 Cinque, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Thanks for the advice, you bring up several good points. Cost wise, I definitely would like to try to repair/weld the cat if possible, but the tricky thing as I can't even tell how extensive the damage is until I get the car into the shop, get the cat off, and have my mechanic open it up to see what the interior crack and core look like. If at all possible, I'd probably shoot for the repair as you mentioned and see how long I can make it last for, as its not like I put tons of miles on the car.

Then if it isn't repairable, then I guess I have to go with a used cat. Just logistically going to be a bit tricky as I don't want to buy a used one until I know how bad the current damage is, and by that point the car is already stuck in the shop with no cat. Kind of a chicken or egg situation so trying to come up with a plan! I'm open to any and all ideas...

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Nothing stopping you putting a couple of hose clips around the outside once it is welded

13. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    I never thought of that. Do you think the hose clips would help hold the welds together?

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Assuming the weld manages to stop it leaking, they are sure going to help. Look for hose clips with a nut/ bolt arrangement rather than the screwdriver type