Cuda More Than a Ferrar? | FerrariChat

Cuda More Than a Ferrar?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Texas Forever, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    From Keith Martin in the NYT--

Prices of American muscle cars of the 1960's and early 1970's are escalating, especially those with original engines and transmissions that have serial numbers corresponding to the car's body, known to collectors as matching-numbers cars. Examples with the most powerful engine options can command six-figure prices. In 1971, Plymouth built just a handful of 'Cuda convertibles with the 426-cubic-inch Hemi engine, helping to explain why they currently sell for more than $300,000.

Oh, and BTW, TR6s are now bringing $20K

Just FYI

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wow, i didnt know the convertibles were bringing in that much. Last time i checked a good example of a matching #'s coupe w/ the 426 would be arounf 70k. They really are beautiful cars though. Even though im not a mopar fan, i really would like to have a 383 cuda in my garage one day.
    On another note, a #'s matching Chevelle SS w/ the LS6 runs over 30k now. Vettes from the 60's, especially 63's, are getting expensive.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Sure, why not? I think they made something like 7 of the Hemi Cuda 'Verts that year. Musclecars, especially the big-blocks, have been appreciating since the late 80s. I still wish I had picked up that 440 Superbird back in 86 for $8000 that I had a chance to buy.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I thought Hemi Cuda convertibles were over 600K approaching 1M. The increase in American Muscle has been going on for quite a few years. I'm not saying it will happen, but remember the late 80s for european/exotic sports cars.

5. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    This is good news.

Maybe I will be able to leverage my 69 Mach1 with the shaker hood 428 into a Ferrari. But first I have to finish putting it back together :(

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I remember in Hi School around 1980, I could pick up a low mile
    original 1971 LS 6 Convertible Corvette for around 14K. That
    was their asking price.

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    They're definitely cool cars, but does this look a little familiar to anyone else? If I owned one and was offered $300K, or especially the $800K-$1M, there would be nothing but an oil stain left in my garage. Now that you have guys (we'll assume it's men buying them) from that era who have grown up and done good in the world, there's money available to fuel this market. It will be interesting to see long term values.