F1 Statistics of past 50 years anwhere? | FerrariChat

F1 Statistics of past 50 years anwhere?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm looking for a website (or book) that contains the results of all Grand Prix since the invention of the championship.

Formula1.com used to list these, but not anymore. Any other places that might have this information?

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

I recall seeing a book the had most of the stats for the F1 chanpionship a couple of months ago a a Borders mear my house, The problem is i canot remember the name. If i find out or remember i will let you know.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

3. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    www.forix.com

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks!

Just signed up with Forix. Not bad.

Rob, if you come across that book title, let me know please. I still prefer a printed copy of this than doing heavy web browsing.

5. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
  6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Another good site, thanks!

Combining the two I can actually get what I want.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I wanted all drivers results. My goal is to recalculate the points based on different points systems. Actually changes world championships.

Anyway the two sites mentioned have all required for this little project.

9. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Here's my table of 2003, with different scoring system in place for each driver:
    http://www.geocities.com/ferrariwax/f1scoring.htm

Note I didn't put it in my own 10-7-5-3-2-1 or 10-7-5-4-3-2-1 theoretical results for a scoring system - yet. 10-7-5-3-2-1 nor 10-7-5-4-3-2-1 have never been used, though they seem to be perfectly fair and logical.

Here's the old scoring system, complete with explanation:
    http://8w.forix.com/6thgear/points.html

On my site, I stopped at the 2003 season's table, as I'm setting it up to have a certain look about it. It's based on the proportion that is most pleasing to the eye: The Golden Section, or simply the ratio of one relationship to another, or 1 to 0.618. Squares and rectangles in perfect proportion to one another. Tricky. Especially with tables, moreso with frames.

This isn't meant to discourage you in any way from pursuing this - in fact, it's encouragement for us both, and any others who are interested in this. Perhaps we can pool our resources, come up with a standard format and prevent duplicate efforts for various eras. What do you think?

Hi-ho, hi-ho, off to work I go.

10. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Here's something else I've been interested in doing - but just found it's been done. Good! Less labor of love! A graphical comparison of drivers for each season:

http://www.kes.hants.sch.uk/cgi-bin/prog.pl?year=2003

http://www.kes.hants.sch.uk/cgi-bin/prog.pl?year=1950

Cool, huh?

Along these lines, but not returning Graphical query results, I still would like to see a dumb input/smart output of points for the various point schemes through the years.

Think of it as a Metric-Imperial Measurement, or Fahrenheit-Celsius-Kelvin temperature Converter, except "dumb input" of:
    1(st place)= "smart output" of 10, (or 8, as the case may be), etc. on through each placing, for each driver.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wax, true what we really would need would be some smart program/database that contains all drivers' results and you select the scoring system and bingo you get the comparison. With more time on my hands I would do that, but for the moment I'll just compare them against one system, probably the one from 2002.

I always thought that the scoring system in seventies were the worst: Scoring only the best of x races is so weird. I remember how I was upset that Alan Jones had no fair chance of winning the title in 1979 when he had a really great second half of the season. Glad that system is long gone.

12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

I went over to borders yesterday and they no longer had the book in stock. Also the Employees were not much help in trying to figure out the title of the book.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Rob for trying.

I'm working with the data of the sites mentioned in this thread and am getting along. Lots of work, but anyway.

14. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    I think the book you've refered to is called "The Great Formula One Encyclopepia". $125 at Borders, if they have them in stock. I have several others that are smaller, ending in earlier years. Other than the above mentioned, the Virgin Formula 1 Record File, by Bruce Smith, who has done a number of similar books,is, I think, the most exhaustive and goes from the start to the 1999 season.

All the Best,

JMJ