Ferrari 328 Door Map Pouch Repair - Springs | FerrariChat

Ferrari 328 Door Map Pouch Repair - Springs

Discussion in '308/328' started by Chiaro_Slag, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #1 Chiaro_Slag, Nov 13, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few of the 328 owners seemed interested in this relatively simple repair, so I thought I should post my results.

I already had the doors off, in order to re-dye the leather, so I figured it would be a good time to repair the nagging map pouch on the driver's side that didn't want to stay shut.

On the back of the door was a few nuts holding the map pouch assembly in place. After removing those, the map pouch assembly comes free.

I had to pull back the leather a little bit on the back side to expose the hinge holding the spring in place. Unscrew the 2 screws to remove the spring. Below is a picture of 2 old springs (bottom) and 2 new springs above them. The old springs were busted on the part that goes under the hinge.

There is a bit of a trick in putting on the new springs. Once you slide the spring on the post and get the left piece under what looks to be a brass holder, the right piece of the spring that is extended needs to be turned 180 degrees and then tucked in under the hinge. Then hold it there while you screw in the hinge. I replaced just the driver side springs and I have 2 extra springs in case the passenger side decides to break.

For all the help I have received on this great site, I hope this is able to help someone out! Please message me with any questions - I am more than happy to help.

I ordered the springs from http://parts.ferrari.co.uk - Special thanks to Mark Langfield for being more than patient with my questions regarding available parts. :)

Here are the part #'s :

LH Spring - # 62311800 - Price - £3.30 - Which equals about $5.54.

RH Spring - # 62311800 - Price - £3.40 - Which equals about $5.70.

Funny, didn't notice the small price difference between the left and right spring until now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #2 Chiaro_Slag, Nov 13, 2003
  3. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    Slag,

Thanks for posting this. I have the same problem on the passenger side door. I'll be fixing it (and other small issues) during the winter.

How long did this take you?

Theo

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I already had the door off - So not very long - The hardest part was really figuring out that I had to "wind" the spring first and figuring out which which spring went on each side.

If the door was on, I would estimate :

Remove door panel - 60 minutes. There are a few screws around the door and 4 more buried in the carpet. Then you must remove the door handle which is complicated by the door handle cable system and the electronics (power windows, power mirrors, and light). There is a great step by step instruction for this that Rob put up here - Thanks to Carl Rose :

http://www.ferrarichat.com/partsandservice/index.htm

Next just remove the few nuts that hold the pouch on the door. Then replace the springs - 30 minutes.

Then reassemble the door.

2-3 hours is a good estimate of total time required. If you then do the second door, it would probably be faster due to learning curve.

5. Dla

Dla Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Jacksonville FL
    Full Name:
    Lee Anderson
    Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 88 328 and I am trying to find the "manual" place on the door to raise and lower the windows in case of power failure. I had a 308 and there was no problem, it even had a special tool. But with the 328, the book shows a place on the door, but with no explanation of a tool, and I can not locate a 'hole' in which to insert something to raise the windows in case of power failure. Is there such a hole on a 328? Perhaps the previous owner re-did the door leather and did not make an allowance for this.
    Thanks,
    Lee

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #6 Chiaro_Slag, Dec 1, 2003
    Greetings Dla -

Here is a picture of the hole for the window crank - That circle piece just pops off. I don't have the actual device to crank it though, so I have no pic of that - Maybe another F-Chatter does.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Dla

Dla Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Jacksonville FL
    Full Name:
    Lee Anderson
    Thanks,
    I have no such piece. Someone must have put new leather on the doors, I was told it was all original. What year is your 328?
    Thanks,
    Lee

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Time to revive an old thread.

The spring on my drivers side door broke tonight, I heard it snap. I'm going to have to replace it. Can it be done without removing the entire door panel?

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hi Jim-

I don't think so. Not sure how you could get to the bolts without taking the panel off.

10. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    just to fix a small typo, the spring part numbers are 62311700 and 62311800. You need one of each per door.

looks like the panel plug for the hand crank disappeared after serial number 71597