Ferrari licensing for small run memorabilia? | FerrariChat

Ferrari licensing for small run memorabilia?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Marty80, Dec 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marty80

Marty80 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Martin
    I just made a prototype of an approx. 3' high Scuderia Shield, that is is basically "3D Stacked"...
    Each level of the shield is made of 16 ga. steel and powder coated the correct color.

So it has the base shield in black / then a yellow shield suspended off the black approx. 3/8", using 316 grade stainless standoffs. / The black Stallion and S,F letters are raised above the yellow shield / And the stripes of the Italian flag, individually cut, also raised...

It was precisely duplicated and cut out on a laser table.
    ( And not a hobby laser, a state of the art $1.1m laser, that cuts steel plate at 1600in. per minute.)

With all modesty, it is insane!. Enthusiasts will love it.

I plan to market onsite at the correct car shows and select magazines/websites...

My question is, do I need to license this thru Ferrari?
    I have gone to their website and there are no links I can find, to address my question...

I may sell 1, 10 or 100+ , don't know.
    I like to do things right and not get "The call" from the lawyers!
    Thanks in advance...

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Ferrari is right up there with Disney on their strict enforcement of trademarks and copyrights. If they see it, you will get a C&D letter.

At the same time, they are unlikely to want to spend the effort to license a small run. Which likely means you're SOL.

paulchua and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. Marty80

Marty80 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Martin
    Yes, I figured that, I’ll start making phone calls Monday morning..
    Thks

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    At this point, Licensing, from the company releasing a Ferrari SUV/Truck thingy, will amount to:
    Whatever you sold them for = Send us that. All of it.​

paulchua likes this.
  5. Marty80

Marty80 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Martin
    Who would do that?!

6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Exactly, unfortunately.

paulchua likes this.
  7. Marty80

Marty80 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Martin
    I guess I could mean it both ways,,,
    Who would build a Ferrari pickup,
    ( I think back to SCM a number of years ago, when they did an auction report on a one off 330 I believe, converted to a pro street monster.)

But more important, who would do it without Ferraris approval...

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Craig,

I would say if you plan to advertise and go 'big' - you'll get a C&D letter. After all, Ferrari even does this to folks that take "pictures" of Ferrari.

If you were doing this as a Hobby and do local small shows, I doubt you'll get any flak. That said, just call em up - I'm sure they have a standard price/quantity spec sheet.

Good Luck!

anunakki likes this.
  9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    All of this smells fishy to me. A new member asking a question whose answer is a pretty obvious no all while describing in sales sheet detail the copyright infringing item he manufactured.

Sounds like a clever attempt to get around F-Chat’s advertising and copyright rules while hoping interested parties just message the OP for pics and pricing info.

10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I considered that scenario when i approved his first post. But if that was the plan, then it's actually not so clever and a non-starter.

We know that Ferrari is aware of this board, so posting just created a record of his actions for Ferrari. Plus the board does require products or merchandise be properly licensed before they can be sold here. So again there's now a record if his intent was subterfuge rather than taking his post at face value.

EnzoItaly and Nuvolari like this.
  11. Marty80

Marty80 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Martin
    I apologize, for creating confusion...

A few notes:

I am very aware, that everyone in the Ferrari universe, including the company, monitors this website.
    I have zero intention of making or marketing anything without Ferraris approval...

By describing what I intended to make, it was to gauge interest and feedback...

12. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    This product idea doesn’t sound much different than any number of laser cut metal Ferrari signs on Etsy which many members here have based on garage pics. I doubt very much any of these are licensed products based on their cheap price. Worse case you get C&D and have to stop selling them. Don’t do a mass production run that you might be stuck with. I am not a lawyer and this advice is worth what you paid for it.

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. Marty80

Marty80 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Martin
    Sincerely appreciate the advise...

But there is no way I’ll move forward without a license agreement...

I entered the Ferrari N.A. phone tree yesterday, (not fun!). Didn’t talk to a single person, but left messages with legal and marketing...

As the owner of a large commercial powder coat facility, I have accounts from large industries with national/international business, to small hobbyists working in their garage...

There is a big difference in what you can produce, between a high end shop, using a state of the art laser table, and a plasma table with a hobbiest.
    If I go forward, there will be a difference!

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Copyright infringement without a license of course.

BUT.....

Just take a look on Etsy. I'm always amazed how many people get away with selling logos there. Hard to believe Ferrari doesn't crack down on them.

15. Marty80

Marty80 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Martin
    Look at the metal shield for $215- / Zoom in on the stallion, it looks like they painted it without even wiping the oil off the metal...

And at that price, they were either made in China / used metal of a gage just above aluminum foil... Or both!

16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I know. I have a cnc plasma and cnc router table so people are always coming to me. I can't beat the cheap crap pricing like Etsy.

You have to remember it's all about price in this realm. Put your shield concept out there and within 24 hours there will be a dozen copies at half your price. That's why I stay off there and try to only use my time to create things that aren't easily knocked off. It's not just on Etsy though, even the big concours and Ferrari guys will try to nickel and dime you. Lol, you'd be surprised how many guys want to pay $200 for a 1/4 scale wood buck. Guess they don't know the rpice of material as I have more than that in my costs.

I get at least ten DM's a day on Instagram asking for my cnc wood buck files. They must think I'm stupid.

17. Marty80

Marty80 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Martin
    I agree with everything you say...

What does not shock me, is the guys at the big concours, trying to nickel and dime you!

There’s an old saying for people like that:

“They know the price of everything and the value of nothing.“

18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive been in licensing for over 20 years. To echo several posts above, Ferrari is way worse than Disney. Disney lets a ton of stuff go these days. Not so much Ferrari.

If you fly under the radar and are only selling 100 pieces you will probably be fine. But if you cross their radar you will get a C&D.

There are literally hundreds of hobbyists making unlicensed Star Wars product right now. Its all on Etsy and Disney isnt shutting it down. They will only bother if they feel you are selling enough to be making a business out of it.

HotShoe likes this.
  19. Marty80

Marty80 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Martin
    You’re right, but it’s not worth it to me...

To do a large shield with no compromise, (metal/fasteners/powder coat/shipping package etc.) you’ll have way more In costs, then what they charge for the completed junk on Esty.

it’s like tools, if you want Harbor Freight, buy Harbor Freight, but if you want Snap-On...