Fuel pump keeps ticking...! | FerrariChat

Fuel pump keeps ticking...!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rmdferrari, Mar 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    When the ignition light is on, the fuel pump on my 308 GT4 keeps ticking away with no sign of stopping. Whilst tunning in the radio it was "ticking" for 5 minuites or so. Is the right? I've experience of other old cars that tick for say, 20 seconds then once the chamber is full they stop. Any ideas?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Richard -- Your 308GT4 has a "continuously recirculating" fuel system (i.e., there's an intentional small leakage path from the supply fitting on the 7/8 carb into the RH side fuel tank) so the pump never completely shuts off.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    If the car has it's original Corona BCD pump, it should run with a faint humming/buzzing sound. Does it have another type of pump in there (Facet or SU)? These typically have a very mechanical sound (especially the Facet, they make terrible noises!).

As Steve says, there's an over-flow fitting on the right-hand, front side carburetor and when I start my car up for the first time, I wait to hear that fuel splashing out of that hose into the tank, then I know the bowls are full and I can then start the car.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Just so it may make some more sense, an advantage of the constant loop fuel system is that it provides a constant availability of cool fuel and helps to avoid vapor lock.
    best

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    A loudly ticking fuel pump frequently means you have blockage in the fuel line or you need to change the fuel filter. Unless GT4 pumps always do that...

Ken