Geting 'business'-educated: quick :-) | FerrariChat

Geting 'business'-educated: quick :-)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by dantm, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Hi, some of you might remember my previous messages asking about such things as IP (intellectual property), patents, start-up companies and so on...

Anyway as an update to the story, the company for which we've developed a high end mobile antenna prototype has indeed come back to us for delivery of 5 field-test units which, upon successful testing in the continental US, will go into mass production over the next 6 months.

So we've started a small company to develop these 5 units and re-design for production. So far, so good.

The 'problem' I'm having is that I find myself all of a sudden talking to VPs and presidents, and I have a steep learning curve to using their business language directly (I'm the representative of our small company btw). I'm better than your average 'engineer', having had a keen interest in the business world, but I still need to educate myself.

Are there any recommended books, magazines, or any other materials you guys might suggest? I randomly follow various business magazines and keep track of the news, and try to have a wider understanding of our technical work (and how it fits and integrates on a larger scale), but I'm looking forward to any advice the group might have.

THANKS!!!

2. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    One quick way to learn the lingo is to read Fortune magazine. Lots of other real-world examples out there - I just atteneded a Jack Daly seminar on sales, very practical and down to earth (and real - unlike the RichDad/Poor Dad thread). He also has a few books published I think.

I just finished reading "The Dumbest Moments in Business History". A great read and certainly brings home the idea that business people (including the VP's and CEO's you're meeting with) are no smarter and often dumber, than anyone else.

Good luck and keep us up to date with your adventures.

ps; having a friendly lawyer available to translate some of the more obtuse documents and to play devils advocate is also a good idea. A couple hours of an experts time is cheap insurance.