How is the reliablility and modability with the 308 and 328 motors? | FerrariChat

How is the reliablility and modability with the 308 and 328 motors?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Carsonp, Apr 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    ? definitly a newb question i know, and i have done a bit of searching and reading but havnt really seen anything directly related to the reliability and the modability of the Fcar v8s.

what can you tell me? Are they really expensive to get any serious power out of them (superchargers, turbos, etc.)

and can they last more then 3000 miles without a expensive rebuild?

can a regular guy wrench on his own motor and do regular maintainence?

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Unless you really know what you are doing, I highly recommend against modding a Ferrari motor. A lot of thought went into the design and I know of very few people that are better engineers than those of the factory.

308's and 328's aren't the fastest cars around anymore, but they are fun to drive for what they are. If you maintain it, you can get some serious miles out of it. If you abuse it, its going to break.

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I do ALL the work on my 308 motor 328 motor and 330 motor. Yes you can do a lot to this car to "hot-rod" it but the issue is PROTOTYPE COST. there are NO production aftermarket parts for these cars like you can buy for hondas or mitsus.. The volume of people wanting these parts is very low so who is going to invest in making kits.....

The collection of people on this board have tried danm near everything on Ferraris and without exception they will all tell you that they have HUGE amounts of $$$$$ invested---in some cases more than the original value of the car.

The motor is very dependable--easliy good for 20,000 miles between major service visits

4. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    The motors are extremely robust, more so than say a 348, 355, because they are very under stressed. THey feature only 8.8 or 9:2 compression ratios, respectively. Unlike 355s, you don't see thse motors torn apart after 10k miles for valve guides! You can get 400hp plus from these motors. Supercharged and turbocharged.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    They are much stronger and durable then most will believe. Take my word for it.

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Very reliable.
    But you really need to put this into perspective...
    The oldest of the 308 series is 30 years old.
    So unless you know the history of said car with a proper PPI,
    there is risk involved.
    My 77 308 has 60k miles on it, and is ready for valve guides and seals.
    But the bottom end is still in great shape.

It needs a rebuild every 3k miles.... Is a myth!

As far as mod-ability, sure you can mod one.
    As long as you have a pocket full of cash!
    Heck, a really nice paint job on a 308 will run around $10k.
    Many have purchased a $30k 308 and then dropped another $30k into it on engine/trany/suspension/brakes, so forth.
    They do it not because it is practical, but because they love this car.