My 90 TR radiator fans won't switch on | FerrariChat

My 90 TR radiator fans won't switch on

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tommyworld, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
    Hello everyone i'm new here and glad i found you. I've had my 90 tr for about a year and love it. recently i noticed my car was reaching higher temps than normal on a sunday drive so i drove home and parked it. i called a ferrari mechanic the next day and he had me troubleshoot the problem and said it was a bad thermo sensor. said it is the under radiator. anyone out there ever fix thier own or should i take it to dealer. any feedback would be great. the car has been sitting for a few weeks and its killing me since we've been having such great weather in san diego. just have'nt had the time to set appointment and fix it.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Don't know about the '90 TR exactly, but can't be much more difficult than the thermal sensor on my Dino. Located lower portion of the radiator.

If you want to make sure it's the sensor, unplug it, ang jump out the circuit. That will make the fans come on as soon as you turn the key in the car to start it.

If it still doesn't work, then could be the fan relay, or the fuses. Check the fuse, if it's ok, then could be the relay, which is easier to replace than the sensor.

All else fails, the R&R on the sensor is probably not a tough one, if you can turn a wrench, and are patient.

Mine, unfortunately, turned out to be a bad impellor on the water pump.

3. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Check your fuse box, theres a white eleven pin connector (there are several white connectors). It sends power to the temp switch, the connector usually melts.

4. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
    thanks for the tips guys. i will do as you both suggested and keep you posted.

5. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
    ok i've done all the troubleshooting and the two pin connectoer that go to the fans are melted. what do i do to fix? thanks

6. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Splice in a male and female blade connectors, and bypass the white connector all together.

7. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    if it's anything like the 512TR setup, the 2 relays that drive L and R fans are wired in parallel. on both input and output. it's silly, if one relay breaks down, both fans still work, and now draw current from one relay. hence the melting of PCB tracks and wires.

I went into the fuse board and separated them by cutting PCB tracks and re-wiring. Now when one relay dies, one fan dies.

8. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
    hey guys thanks for all the help. i will go and bypass the white connector and put male and female plugs instead. can i get these relays anywhere other than ferrari? i'm going to replace both while i'm in there. thanks again

9. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Check this thread out. As of this moment it is on page 2 of the technical Q&A section. "Testarossa Water Sensor Replacement" TR91 gave some great instructions, as usual. Good luck.
    Jim

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The relays are industry standard and you should be able to replace them with a common Bosche unit used on countless millions of other cars on the planet.

The thermal switch is located on the bottom of the L/H radiator. Removal of the left rear tire and access panel is required. The switch controls both radiators.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    TRs are known for melting fuseboxs. I would go ahead and just replace the fusebox to fix this problem and avoid ones to come. Also, when you buy a new one, solder all the rivet connections before you install it in the car. I had that done on both my ex-TR and current Boxer. It is a common preventative measure for these cars.

12. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
    Hey everyone thanks so much for all your input and instructions on what to look for and how to fix it. one of my relays was bad, the white plug melted and coated the connectors with plastic to where i got no contact. My connectors were not melted though. i filed the plastic off the connectors, replaced the 2 relays @ $6.00 each and both fans run great so my car is back on the road again!

I know so much more about my TR now that i visit this site regularly. thanks everyone.