New Ferrari UK fuel hose is collapsing !! | FerrariChat

New Ferrari UK fuel hose is collapsing !!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, Jul 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 peajay, Jul 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 1987 328 was due for a set of new fuel hoses just to be sure everything was in a safe condition. I did some checking around and did not find anyone that was selling hoses capable of full time fuel immersion. So I bit the bullet and bought the genuine Ferrari hoses from Ferrari UK, as we all know, the OEM hoses are VERY expensive. I am really surprised to find that the tank to fuel pump hose is collapsing, it is not braided like the original and has a thinner wall.
    I am concerned that this will cause fuel starvation and pump cavitation due to the restricted suction line and being kinked like this will probably cause it to fail sooner. All in all not a good situation.. Has anyone else bought an original Ferrari hose for this location and did you notice that it collapses like this ??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Paul
    The bend looks very tight for a reinforced hose. Did it come to specified length and/or did you change the routing? My guess is the hose needs a gentler arc.
    Suggest you check and send Jeff/Malcolm an email
    Philip

3. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Although I agree that it looks like too tight an arc for that hose, sometimes twisting one end can resolve that problem.

4. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The hose was originally about two inches longer so I cut it to exact length of the original. In fact if you make it longer the kink becomes worse. The coding on the receipt indicates the original part is replaced by this one. If Ferrari is now only supplying this part, I am wondering if other people have this condition and are not aware of it

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    You might be able to slided a stainless steel spring in the tube to prvent the kink. Sort of like an arterial stent.

6. Warren_

Warren_ Rookie

Apr 13, 2004
    Peajay, the best thing to do is go and buy a braided hose as per the original one. The last thing you want in any car is fuel leaking. Even though in your case it is no where near the engine or a hot item, the spray patterns are anyones guess.
    The yellow fuel hose made in the UK and the USA does break down also, with the fuel from some countries due to the amount/type of benzines or other additives. So much so that I have had to make my own fuel hose. I dont know if you have ever dissected the yellow fuel hose but it is made up of an inner core of copper wire, a rubber wrap, a rubber selve, a canvas mid layer, an outer yellow canvas, a soft wire. In the end a total mess.
    Anyway do not drive your car if you think the hose is not 100%.

7. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi Peajay.

Sorry that you're not entirely satisfied with this part.

Can you advise what part number and order number this is and I will look and see what the story is.

Thanks.

8. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Jeff

I will eMail you with a part number when I get home this evening. I would guess that in most locations this hose would be OK but the curvature for this application seems to be too much for this construction to handle. I don't think safety is an issue with this, but this hose at this location is not up to the job like the original braided type.

Like many others on this site, I really appreciate your excellent support.

Paul

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Too bad you didn't search the archives.
    For future reference, 5/8" Gates White Stripe fuel line can be used. Cost me all of $1/foot from one of the larger auto parts stores in Nashua, NH. It should be available from most auto parts stores (maybe not the 'consumer' ones like PepBoys & AutoZone tho.)

I used it last year. See my post in the Old Fchat archives:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/323118.html

Just cut my length to the same as the hose I removed. No kinking, etc.

10. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Hi Paul

I like the pale blue carpet under your car. Are you doing the work in your lounge?

Colin

11. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Glad you like that plush carpet, it saves my old bones just a little - these cars are LOWWWWWW, if you don't have the luxury of a lift !!

12. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    i thought the OEM hose had a moulded bend in it, looks like my 308 gts carb car still has the original with a moulded bend.

13. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Paul,

The original 328 fuel tank-to-pump hose is not molded. Original hoses may take a "set" over time.

Not sure if available in France, but in the US NAPA stocks a "Weatherhead" black braided hose very similar in appearance to original. Sizes are in English units, but one comes very close (cannot remember - perhaps 1/2" or 5/8" ID?). If you'd like I'll get you a couple feet and send along. Do not know how well durability comparies to original but is listed as fuel hose.

:) Carl

[email protected]

14. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Carl thanks for the very kind offer, I am hoping Ferrari UK will help resolve this for me. I will be visiting the US in a few months so I will stop in at a NAPA store and get a spare.

Looking at the old braided hose I removed I would guess it was not originally a molded shape, it seems to bend without collapsing. Don't know why the new part is like it is, but of course there is no part number marking on it so maybe someone picked a part from the wrong bin ?

Paul