NYC- Need some advice | FerrariChat

NYC- Need some advice

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Patman36, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patman36

Patman36 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hey folks, I posted here awhile ago about this trip I am planning. I will be in NYC the week before Christmas. I will be taking my girlfriend to NYC for the first time, I have been before but she hasn't. She doesn't know this (so don't tell her) but I will be proposing to her the night we get there.

After careful research, we are staying at The Benjamin. I originally had reservations at the Waldorf but decided to cancel those, I have heard mixed reviews about the place, especially when you aren't spending MAJOR bucks for a nice suite.

Anyways, I am thinking about proposing at Rockefeller Center, in front of the ice rink, XMas tree, that whole thing. I want to be able to walk there from dinner that evening but I am having trouble finding a great place to eat around there. Any suggestions? I have a few places we are planning on going but none around Rockefeller Center.

Or should we just go to Tavern on the Green and afterwards take a handsome cab? Can the handsome cab take us back to the hotel? AHHH!!!!

Sorry, I am stressed, any advice would be appreciated.

Patrick

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    FIRST OFF...CONGRATS..

TAVERN ON THE GREEN IS NICE BUT A TOURIST TRAP...THE ATMOSPHERE IGREAT, ESPECIALLY IN THE TAVERN ROOM, YOU ARE IN CENTRAL PARK....A BETTER DINNER IS THE FOUR SEASONS....BETTER FOOD, BUT PRICEY...YOU CAN TAKE A CARRIAGE RIDE FROM EITHER...BETTER TO PROPOSE IN A CARRIAGE RIDE WITH A BOTTLE OF DOM PERIGON...MORE PRIVATE, PLUS YOU CAN GET LUCKY IN PRIVACY

GOOD LUCK

BRUCE

3. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I hate Tavern on the Green! At one point it was good, but it is a complete tourist trap. If you want GOOD food, here is what I suggest: Daniel (french, very good); Le Cirque (french, good, not what it used to be); Citarella (mixed european, very good); Le Bernadin (old school french, excellent); Nobu (mixed asian stuff, very good, but too far downtown).

I think most of those, with the exception of Nobu, is within walking distance to Rockefeller Center. I don't know what you definition of walking distance is, though. In winter, five blocks is walking distance for me ;) Anything more than that I will probably drive or take a cab. Anyway, good luck.

4. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Congratulations Patrick! Sounds like you're on the right track. I agree with BRUCE about proposing on the carriage ride, definately more private and more romantic.

I'm suddenly reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is driving the carriage, but has previously fed the horse Beefarino.... nevermind. lol

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Someone should hide at rockafeller center and take pictures. How many ppl can say they have pics of them proposing? i would guess not many.

6. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a video of me and my wife after I proposed. Oops...nevermind!

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    If you do decide to stick with the Benjamin, call ahead now and ask for Eileen, the Concierge, and use my name, Bill Hart. She is very close friends with us, and will make sure your stay is everything you want it to be. Also, let her coordinate reservations for you, since she has some juice you do not. I generally agree with the restaurant recommendations you have been given, but the 4 Seasons is a bit sterile moderne (don't get me wrong, the room is a classic, but hardly "romantic" in the classical sense), Daniel is the best of the bunch so far mentioned in terms of level of service and food, and unless you are more interested in the "scene" or people who want to be part of a scene, i would stay away from Nobu.
    The most romantic room in NYC is probably a window table at the River Cafe, although i haven't been there in a while and don't know who is cooking there these days. Cafe Des Artiste is also a wonderful room, but again, i can't vouch for the kitchen these days. If you like caviar, and all that comes with it, Petrossian is an interesting place. But, in many cases, the best food can be found in less auspicious rooms, many of which are not in proximity to the park and carriages. (One of my favorite rooms downtown is Chanterelle, which is not up with Daniel but still very high, has a spare, comfortable room with a single seating and spot-on service. The hardest room to get into is Rao's, uptown. If you know Tony Bennett, or any well-known mobsters, you have a chance. (Jim- you got any juice there?) Best steak- Luger's in brooklyn, but its more the kind of place to celebrate a divorce than to propose. Eileen can probably hook you up at most of these restaurants if you call her in advance of your stay, and tell her what you have in mind. good luck and we will expect a report.

8. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D

LOL.

Bill comes through with a connection again - way to go

9. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Well done !

Fantastic place !

Top of the Empire State building - fantastic views at night !

10. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Just about any of the Italian restruants in Little Italy are good.

As the Conceirge (sp?) at the hotel to recommend a few places.

11. Patman36

Patman36 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks for the reply folks. I am really looking forward to it. She has never been to NYC and is really looking forward to it. I was able to score some courtside Knicks tickets today so I am psyched about that.

I just need to make up my mind where I want to do this. There are so many factors, one of the biggest is the weather. It is either Rockefeller Center, Central Park, or the Empire State Building (all at night the day we get there). The latter may be a problem since she is afraid of heights! But we are planning on going there anyways, I think it may be easier for her at night.

Bill, I will call Eileen tomorrow or Friday, I appreciate the information and recommendations. The River Cafe is also an option, I have heard the view is amazing.

That would be fun though to get pictures of the actual proposal. I have never thought of that. I will keep that in mind!

I will take lots of pictures and let everyone know how it went. I am so excited... I will be picking up the ring probably next week and asking her parents that weekend. She just has to get through finals at medical school first! Anyways, thanks for all the information folks, I really do appreciate it.

Patrick

12. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D

Make sure she passes :)

13. Patman36

Patman36 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    What is the best way to get from Newark Airport to Manhatten? I am talking to limo companies for a town car or something and they want $100 each way. Should we just take a taxi?

Patrick

14. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    If you want to make the trip romantic and stress-free, i'd suggest paying for the limo. One-hundred is right around what I usually pay to and from Newark. Taxi lines at Newark are insane at times, and taxi's are not necessarily comfortable.

P.S.: I just re-read your post and noticed you said, "$100 for a towncar." I usually pay $100 for a stretch limo, so you might want to shop around. You can probably get a town car for a little less than $100; however, for around $100, i'd get the limo :)

15. caddyman

caddyman Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Carmines is very good Italian. Not far from the Tree!