Oil in MAFs (still) 599 | FerrariChat

Oil in MAFs (still) 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by chris1866, Sep 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey guys,
    Was hoping someone would have an idea here...
    I got my 599 back in Feb of this year and shortly after I noticed a hesitation at WOT around 7k RPMs. No CEL, but I plugged my scanner in (Launch X431 pros mini) and saw some MAF codes. Removed them and found them to be coated in oil. Cleaned with MAF cleaner and the issue was fixed.
    I also checked the oil and noticed it to be a bit overfull (just shy of the max mark on the dipstick). So I sucked out about 1.5 quarts so that it is now right at the min mark on the dipstick).

A while later I got CEL with MAF codes. Removed again and they were covered in oil yet again. I figured that this must be a PCV valve issue so I replaced that. When I pulled the old one out I did confirm it to be bad (I was able to blow through it both ways).

Car runs fine currently and no CEL, but I just took the intakes off to remove the headers (6-1s from Fabio coming next week!), and sure enough, coated in oil again!

I am not sure what to do next. Each time I have checked, there is a small amount of oil at the bottom of the intake boot, but nothing in the air filters or canister (I have read some people having this when the oil is overfull).

I also notice a burning oil smell whenever I come to a stop (traffic light, etc.) after driving for a while, and it has been like this since I got the car.

2007 with 23k miles.

Appreciate any insight or suggestions!

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Do you have aftermarket air cleaners?

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    You are aware too that the oil level needs to be checked with the engine hot and running (in a fairly specific way too - see below)?

The oil expands when it gets hot, so if you're checking the min level when the engine is off, then you may well still be overfilled.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nero599 and Skidkid like this.
  4. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Terry - no, factory air cleaners. Everything is 100% stock on the car.
    Robin - yes, I know how to check the oil in a dry sump car. I am aware of a couple of different (highly specific) factory noted procedures for checking the oil...one in the manual and a different one in the WSM (what you have pictured). Personally I just check it with the engine running and fully up to operating temp. In some cars (ie 355) you have to shut the engine off before checking (immediately) because the oil return hose is actually oriented in such a way that it will splash on the dipstick, leading to potentially inaccurate readings, but I don't believe this is an issue on the 599.

Thanks!

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    HI Chris, not trying to teach you to suck eggs- just important to cover the basics. :)

Below shows the oil breather system. Could it be that the bleed pipes (D) are blocked and allowing oil to accumulate in the intake? No idea if thats the case, but I would be going through all of these lines looking for anything amiss.

As further diagnosis, you could try installing a separate oil catch tank and seeing if that improves the situation.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

599_GTO likes this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I can say from experience that checking it hot and at idle it will be over full vs the WSM method. At full temp, run 1 min at 4500 RMP, idle 2 min, then check the oil. I had the same issue until I adjusted my oil correctly. And yes, I ended up taking over a quart out. And no, the shop didn't do it correctly and that is how I ended up down this path.

7. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks all!
    When I get it running after the header install (which, btw is totally kicking my butt), I will check the oil per the WSM method.
    While it's all apart, I will examine all of these lines and confirm no blockages.

For anyone interested, I will be posting my progress in the 6-1 header thread, including sound clips when done!

8. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    You probably have a soaked filter within the air intakes. If you take the screws off the red portion of the intakes you will be able to access the filters within the intake. Take those filters out and clean them throughly. They will be soaked in oil if the vehicle was overfilled.

9. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    You probably have a soaked filter in the air intakes. If you take the screws off the red portion of the intakes you will be able,to,access the filters within the intake.

steve moody likes this.
  10. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just to clarify, you're talking about the actual plenums/intake manifold and not the airbox filters, correct?

11. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    Correct. Remove the screws and the filters are inside the plenums.

12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The oil checking procedure in the owners manual is incorrect. If you don't follow the procedure in the factory workshop manual (rev engine to 4000-4500rpm and check oil level after 2 minutes (with a one minute window for checking), the oil level will be too high and it will be sucked into the intakes.
    Even using the factory method, I recommend running the oil level at the low mark, not the full mark.

Once the air mass meters have been coated in oil, they are junk and cannot be cleaned. They must be replaced! The MAF cleaner is for hot-wire air mass meters as used on the older cars. The 599 has hot film air mass meters, and any oil from the engine or K&N filter oil cannot be cleaned from them.

At the dealership level, I have seen oil coming out of the fender vents on the sides of the car, and the repair is $3,000+ to replace the MAF's and clean the oil out of the intakes/plenums.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports