Paint or Polish | FerrariChat

Paint or Polish

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve King, Nov 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    My Ansa exhaust paint had been coming off so I decided to clean it up before I paint it again. When I started to remove the paint I realized it was a SS muffler. Now I don't know if I should repaint it black or polish the SS. What do you think. Here is a pic of where I am now and I can go either way. Thanks

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Get the surface (except for the tips) sandblasted and then painted. Use ultra high temperature headder paint and apply as little paint as possible. The all but eliminates peeling. No offense to you Tubi guys out there but polished mufflers on an F-car look like you are dragging a trash can under the car. My vote is for black.

3. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    no doubt, black is the look. the way Enzo wanted it.

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Pic attached if it comes out.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    OK question here. Who has found a suitable header paint that will stand up to the heat. Is "eastman" the best and do you use the brush on vs. spray? Also is there a wrinkle finish instead of a flat black.

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Most auto parts stores carry "Header Paint". Lots of brands, such as Krylon, etc.

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I vote for black as well. ;-)

8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I painted the precats, cats, and muffler of my TR with Plasticote high temp stainless paint last year. After a 4k miles it still looks great. I like Nuvolari's comment about the "trash can" look (LOL), I guess it can remind you of one, but on the TR it's not so bad.