Power for radar detector? | FerrariChat

Power for radar detector?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Seve, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seve

Seve Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    My '88 Mondial Cab has a lighter that will not accomodate a plug for my V1. Do I need to direct wire it? If so, what is the best way to do it.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Find a wire in the dash that has 12V when the key is ON and 0V when the key is OFF. V1 comes with a clipon power connector--wrap connector arround wire, crimp on with a pair of pliers. The current load is small enough that you can simply use (about) any circuit matching this prescription.

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    On my '84 308QV, I have it wired into the domelight's hot wire.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    DITTO what mcharness did. Have it wired into the domelight's hot wire and ground. Shortened the power wire yet DID make sure the fuse section was still employed (VERY IMPORTANT).

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

5. Seve

Seve Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    Thanks--that sounds like a good way to handle it.

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I found an unused spade connector on the fuse box. Just ran the cord up the inside of the "A" pillar and under some trim to the area of the mirror. As it was a bit tight in some areas, I used standard phone cord without the ends and then put on Radio Shack ends with their crimper.