ROAD MEMORIES...NE1 care to share? | FerrariChat

ROAD MEMORIES...NE1 care to share?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by need4speed, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    The post of speeding tickets for excessive speed under the General Discussions Forum got me reminiscing about many road adventures I have had. And I'm sure that there are volumes on this forum. So I thought we could share some.

I'll start off with one of my most memorable ones.

I was going up HWY 1 to Monterey. I think it was in 1996. I was driving my 300ZX TwinTurbo (dynoed to 405 rwhp) along the twisty part about an hour south of Monterey. It was overcast and misty and damp in spots. I was making good time doing anywhere from 80-100. I checked my rearview mirror and there's a dark 911 coming up fast. I look at my speedometer and I'm clocking 100. I let the 911 come up on me and I noticed that it wasn't a normal 911 from the design of the front bumper/spoiler. So I let it pass me and it was the, then new, 993 TURBO. I had just read in the magazines that they will be coming to the US. And to see one was a real treat. Maybe the first one since it had no plates. Also, there was a gorgeous blonde passenger in that car.

So naturally, I tagged along at 120. And as I'm following this guy, I start wondering what's the hurry. He's passing everyone everywhere. I follow suit passing other cars when it was safe. He noticed that I had tagged along and he upped the ante to 135-140. Now remember, we are on the twisty bits of the PCH. On one side is the mountain...on the other, the cliff and the ocean below.

I can see my female passenger was starting to get nervous. So I asked her "do you mind?". And she said, "I know you can drive, so have fun. Just don't kill us.". Well, this went on for about 20 minutes when we are both coming up a long uphill section. I get caught behind a car that the Porsche had just passed and as I look up the road, there's a blind left at the top of the road. And to my surprise, he goes for it!!! And just as he goes around the curve, a car came around in the other direction! That's when I said "TIME OUT. GAME OVER". That's too insane for me.