Spoiler | FerrariChat

Spoiler

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Wasco, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    What do you call the spoiler attached to the engine compartment lid? Can I assume they were a factory option? Where would one purchase one?

2. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Most Dealer's call them 'Aerofoils' and the best place is Ferrari UK, Parts section - Usually come upainted but could be colour coded if ordered as an option from the factory.

Good Luck,

Steve

3. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    For which model?

4. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I own a 78 GTS and was considering the addition of an aerofoil, what do you think? It has the euro front spoiler, it is blk on blk.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The 'Aerofoils' were an option on the later 308s,
    and not found on the early carb cars.
    IMHO they add drag, and distract from the classic lines of this beauty of a car.

But thats just my opinion...

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    No, not quite. The aerofoil creates a slight negative pressure zone at the top of the back glass. This causes hot air from the engine compartment to move from the engine compartment to the back deck area where it can get carried away with the other air in flow. The aerofoil is there for cooling! not for downforce!

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Hey Mitch, where do I say they were for downforce?

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I had a carb 308 GTS, and preferred the clean lines of no rear spoiler....I'd leave it alone.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    In a technical sense you are correct, you did not use the word downforce.

Was I improper when I intuited downforce from your use of the word drag?

10. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    The "aerofoils" do add drag in two components.

First, they add parasitic drag due to the fact that the airflow over the airfoils creates a surface friction force. Any object exposed to airflow has parasitic drag.

Second, they create induced drag, which is the element of total drag created by the production of lift (downforce is lift). By reducing the pressure above the engine compartment to draw out the hot air produced by the engine, the aerofoil is essentially creating lift above the rear portion of the car becuase the pressure above the engine bay is being reduced. This causes drag.

I would image, however, the the overall effect of the aerofoils is positive. The amount of drag created is probably marginal, while the benefit to engine cooling is probably very noticeable.

11. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    'Aerofoils'??? When I first joined this forum, I remember someone calling them 'Basket Handles'.....