Wrecked Ferrari 328 left for dead?(DFW) | FerrariChat

Wrecked Ferrari 328 left for dead?(DFW)

Discussion in 'Texas' started by WJHMH, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Damn shame. I got a call from a friend up in Ft. Worth last night, he brought too my attention that a wrecked 328 has been sitting behind Bikes Inc & the Police substation off Old Grandbury Rd. in South part of town. The car has been there for a couple of days & has front end damage. I hope it's no one here. Anyone care to check this out? I'll get more info if I can.

2. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    It could be stolen vehicle. I wonder is it restorable or an insurace company will junk it. If it is real 328, some 328 owner might buy it for spare parts.
    Are you going to aske them what they will do with the car? (not sure they will disclose the info.) If they will part it out, I'm sure some people will be interested. (me, at least)

Yoshi Ace

3. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I'll cruise by there tomorrow and check it out - I need to go to my bank on Bryant Irvin, which isn't far away.

4. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    #4 4Webers, Jan 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found the car - it's just sitting out in the middle of a parking lot. There's a pack of cigs in the front seat, looks like it was just abandoned. Very strange. I took my company's digital camera, which I obviously don't know how to use properly (as you'll see). At least one picture turned out good...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
  6. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    #6 4Webers, Jan 29, 2004
  7. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    #7 4Webers, Jan 29, 2004
  8. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    the other pictures that were supposed to be close-ups of the back and some window stickers, ended up being nice shots of the ground and my foot. It had a dealer sticker from Miami, and a sticker on the rear window that said something like "Custom by Dick Built" (no joke).

I'll bring my own camera tomorrow and take some more shots if anyone is interested.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Get me the license plate (or was the dealer sticker the plate?) and I can run it.

10. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

lol, the first time I laughed all day..

11. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Wow, The power of Fchat! Thanks 4webers for the pics, I thought the car would be long gone by now, I'll buy you lunch when I get up Ft. Worth. What a shame it is to treat a car like that. Did you get the VIN & plate#?

12. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    #12 4Webers, Jan 29, 2004
    Here's the shot of the license plate: DOH!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    It has a Texas plate, and there was another sticker from the dealer in Miami. There were two stickers on the back window - I didn't memorize them since I was taking a picture of them, or so I thought.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    4Webers, my cousin is getting married, can you take photos for her? :D

15. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Why can't the city paint a post without dropping paint on the pavement? Paint within the lines please!!! AAUUGGHH!! My tax dollars at waste!

16. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Will she be wearing nice shoes? :)

17. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    4Webers, thanks for taking time & posting pics.

I wonder how this damage happened. I was expecting some front to be smashed but just a hood looks damaged. I'm surprised the owner hasn't done anything. The car is just sitting there like that for few days!

I'm still curious what'll happen to this car.

18. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Maybe some goons kidnapped him? That's a weird place to park your car..

19. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B

check the bonnet for a body:)

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Looks like it went under the back of a truck to me

21. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    I did that with my 91 TR. $300 damage to the POS truck and $15k to the TR. My insurance had expired 3 days earlier even though I had been in the State Farm office two weeks prior adding another car. Switched agents soon after.

22. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    It's hard to tell from my awful pictures, but it looks like they slid sideways into some sort of pole (check the blurry picture of the right side), or something pole-shaped backed into it from the right front. The left heater fan is dangling almost to the ground, and there are numerous scrapes along the right side. The hood damage wasn't caused by the same thing that did the major damage, and looks more like someone just grabbed the corner of the hood and yanked it up, possibly just trying to see the engine (wrong end!), or to get whatever might be inside.

23. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Hey Rob, I found a parts car for ya! :)

24. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Strange.

I am surprised that with a police substation around the corner, they have not impounded the vehicle. It does not event have an orange two sticker on it.

I am wondering if this is a stolen vehicle as Yoshi suggested. Nobody just abandons a 328. Also, the bonnet has clearly been pryed up. The damage to the right front looks like the car hit a pole. But, the bonnet should be buckled, not pryed up. The fact that the bonnet is sticking nearly striaght up at one corner is completely inconsistent with the type of metal damage you see from the rest of the car.

My bet is stolen, wrecked by the thief who attempted to see if anything of value was under the bonnet and pryed it open. But, you would think somebody would have noticed if there 328 was missing.

I suppose anothe possibility is a DWI who wrecks and then flees, but the damage to the bonnet still makes me lean towards a theft.

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Yeah, probably a theft. The police probably haven't bothered because it's on private property (parking lot) and not on a public roadway. Disabled vehicles on private property usually fall under code enforcement rather than the criminal side. If the local PD has a CSO type position that would be their detail.