308 air pump removal... | FerrariChat

308 air pump removal...

Discussion in '308/328' started by smg2, Oct 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    DISCLAIMER: the procceding suggestions and how-to's are for off-road use only and not highway use, obey all local laws and regulations.

with the CYA outa the way, the early 308's used eithier a carb or k-jetronic injection. closed loop fuel systems. with the advent of draconian smog mesures the cars were fitted with cats and airpumps. these measures although did somewhat improve the air quality they really choked the motor. so with that, when removing the cats does one need to bother with removing the air pump system or just remove the belt?

i'm completly aware of the smog related issues with older cars but the laws are really strange that my 71' gas belching big block ford is legal on the highway but a non-cat ferrari isn't. consider i drive the ferrari far less than the other cars, its very strange. back on topic;

looking over the system its quite the maze of hoses and valves. would removing the system entierly cause any issues?

thanks..

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Next time the airpump belt "falls off" wait to get a replacement put back on.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I, personally, place a "+" value on an intact and working air injection system (if so equipped as manufactered), but, on the US 2-valve 308, it is illogical IMO to disable the air pump and not remove the air injection nozzles from the exhaust ports.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's my advice as well....the problem with the system is it will deteriorate with time and Ive been warned the unused air valves will eventually leak, and the tubes are prone to rust....

Hard call, especially in CA, where they will want to see 'em!

I suppose those guys will go to great lengths to "replicate" some spinning widgets and new tubing....

One of my cars has missed them for a long time, the other has it all in place, with the belts tied back on the pumps. The P.O. said he never COULD find someone to tune it, with the belts on, in 25 years of owning it.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One set of my headers has the nozzles removed....with a welding rod!!!!! LOL!

*pulling hood down, striking arc*