308 carb balancing tubes missing....feedback appreciated | FerrariChat

308 carb balancing tubes missing....feedback appreciated

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by groovzilla, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    a car i am considering is missing it's balancing tubes on the weber carbs..i have heard this is a common problem on the 308 carb cars.

...how difficult does this make the tuning of the car for a experienced mechanic??...or should i just not worry about it..

all replies appreciated..

william ceriale seattle, wa.

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    William
    If by balancing tubes you are taking about the tubes that go into the manifold, I don't think it is a big deal. I don't believe Tod has ever done ex. gas sampling on my car to get the mixture even - he does it by feel, and does it extraordinarily well. Airflow is balanced using an airflow meter.

If you are talking about carb vacuum tubes, most 308s, I believe, have lines that connect 1 - 3 and 5 - 8 (#4, or it may be #5, I don't have the book to hand, is a standalone tube). These are not typically used to balance the carbs on the 8s (unlike on the 12s where a manometer is more commonly used).

HTH
    Philip

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I'm not sure what you mean by balancing tubes.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you mean the small tube sets on the intake manifolds just below the carbs are completely missing, it's not really a functional problem (although it would be best if they were all nicely "plugged" or all "open" to a filtered air source). However, that would mean all the emission stuff is gone (and could not be restored) so I'd deduct significantly for that (especially if it was not nicely done). It's one thing to remove the air injection system, but IMO it's a little crazy to remove/disable the fuel vapor control system.
    What year/version carbed 308, and is it missing all the emission stuff (even the fuel vapor control stuff)?

5. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    i am referring to the "sniffer" tubes...

6. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    William
    You are talking about the tubes that fit into the manifold ports. They are used to test emissions for each cylinder and tune mixture. Not a big deal if you don't have them. (I don't have them either).
    Philip

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    William -- Do a search at the old FChat site on "110860" (which is the F PN for the M12 x 1.25P "CO Plug" that can be used with a Cu washer to properly seal the sniffer ports -- after getting the old bits out and cleaning up the threads of course) if you'd need to repair/improve them.