308 front brake pad replacement | FerrariChat

308 front brake pad replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by samtheclip, Aug 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    OK, real quick - I have my workshop manuals at a buddys house. How do I change the front pads? They are different from the back. Do I just take out the torx screws? There is not back off hex screw to drop the pads out. Sorry for this.

Oh yeah, I am in my garge right now. I did do a search with no luck.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    OK, I figured it out. I just removed the 2 pins. I check the pads but, they are fine. Plently of meat left. They sqeal a lot though and when I first start the car I need to pump them to stop. Air in the line? Once I remove the pins how do I back up the pistons?

-Sam

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Sounds like an air bubble in the line.
    The pistons should push back in by hand, or you can use a small C clamp on each one. If the piston doesn't move easily, put a piece of plastic hose over the brake bleed valve (you're going to do this for bleeding anyway) & open the bleed valve until a little bit of fluid starts to come out. That should relieve the pressure so the piston will back in slowly.

4. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    Thanks for your reply.

5. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    same,

When you do get to do the replacement, remember to check the master cylinder as you retract the pads. these pistons, as they move back in, will back up the fluid into the reservoir and if you have recently topped up the fluid you may have a lot of fluid overflowing the reservoir. It disolves paint and really makes a nasty mess.

hth,
    chris