308 GT4 Brakes ... '75 vs. '78 | FerrariChat

308 GT4 Brakes ... '75 vs. '78

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cray54, Dec 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    What are the differences between the '75 and '78 308 GT4 Brake System?

I've been reading some of the article's I've found, and something struck in the Road and Track article ('78 I believe):

"We were not especially impressed with the Dino's brakes in our 1975 test and we're gratified to find that stopping distances from 60 and 80 mph in our simulated panic stops have been reduced significantly: 167 ft (previously 208) from 60 mph and 270 (versus 316 ft) from 80."

I have both articles here... The '75 car test weight was 3500 lbs and ran Michelin XWX 205x70VR15. The '78 car test weight was 3585 lbs and ran the same tires.

What did they change to improve the braking ability over those few years?

I do not have a Ferrari part number reference. Brembo seems to sell the only two different rotors for all 308 series cars: 277mm x 20mm, and 272mm x 22mm, but their site does not specify which years or location the rotors match up to.

Thanks for everyone's continued help - Chris

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    There is no difference. Just another example of how you should NEVER take a journos word for anything technical.

Put any two cars on the ame test and you'll get different results.

3. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    Interesting... thanks for the input. Are there any independant places that do legitimate repeatable testing that you know of?

Thanks again,
    Chris

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    No, the only truly repeatable testing of this nature is same day, same surface, same place, same time, same same same........

308 GT4 brakes are the same as 206, 246, 308GTB/GTS, Mondial 8... and even the Mondial 8 stops adequately.

Running sensibly on original style tyres on the road won't ever be an issue with std brakes, the problem starts with adding grip, improving power, increasing weight.

The std brakes can be upgraded to trackable levels quite cheaply.... track pads, braided hoses, race fluid is usually enough for the vast majority.