308 QV more reluctant to go into gears after driving, clutch? slight crunch? | FerrariChat

308 QV more reluctant to go into gears after driving, clutch? slight crunch?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I went for a drive to get gas in my 308 QV. Shifted great the way over there. Turned off the car and then started up again and I noticed it was reluctant to want to go into any gear. It will go into all of the gears but reluctantly sometimes it would give a slight light crunch. Any ideas?
    I adjusted the clutch a month ago and it is getting close to needing a replacement but the pedal is still low from the adjustment. Before this it shifted smoothly. Would a clutch going cause this?
    Other ideas are tranny fluid could need a change. Starting the car in gear with the clutch pushed in isn't a problem ie. it doesn't buck so it should be disengaging fully but it doesn't feel it as it is reluctant to go into every gear. Please let me know if any of you have had this problem.

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Could be just the fact that the clutch is wearing out, but from your description it sounds like "clutch drag", this is more than likely caused by the clutch centre plate not moving freely on the spigot shaft splines and / or the small bearing that sits in the end of the crankshaft is starting to sieze.

What gear oil are you using - there have been lots of posts praising Redline 75W90NS saying that by switching oils it has made a huge difference to the gearchange.

MW

3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Can you describe clutch drag in more detail? Will it need a new clutch now or ?. Thanks for the info.

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    "Clutch drag" is when you depress the clutch pedal fully to the floor but the centre disc does not spin freely between the flywheel and the pressure plate.

Causes as I described, but could be a simple adjustment problem.

MW

5. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Forgot to ask - when you put the car in gear and you start to release the clutch pedal, at what point does the clutch start to "bite" - a sign of a worn clutch is if it "bites" at the top of the pedal travel.

MW

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    It bites about 1/2 inch- 3/4 inch below the brake pedal?
    Now if I put the car in gear and try to start it with the clutch depressed the car should jump right?
    So, it could be an adjustment, gear oil, or a bad pilot bearing?
    It was a sudden thing too. I drove 5 miles and it was fine, drove home and it started. Not sure if that helps or not but it was sudden.

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Sounds like the clutch is getting towards the end of it's life if it's biting at the top of the pedal travel.

"Now if I put the car in gear and try to start it with the clutch depressed the car should jump right? " - Not correct, you should be able to start the engine in gear with the clutch pedal depressed and drive off as normal.

MW

8. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes I know but if the clutch is dragging when you push the clutch in and go to start the car wouldn't it buck then or not?

9. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Yes that is a possibility, but for the clutch not to clear itself there may be a bigger problem than just sticking on the splines. Have you double checked the adjustment.

MW

10. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    No but I will. Adjustment, fluid, then see if it is still there. If so then new clutch.