328 Airconditioning | FerrariChat

328 Airconditioning

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by eric lipper, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    My airconditioner has recently ceased making cold air. It ran fine last week on about a 30 mile trip and then never came on for the return that afternoon. The fan still comes on and blows fine. I then checked under the hood and the compressor clutch is not engaging. I unplugged the wire to the clutch and it registered only .71 volts. I assume that it should have 12 volts at the clutch. Does anyone have an idea? I do not have a wiring diagram for the car and if anyone knows a source for the wiring diagram, I would be most appreciative. My assumption, right now, is that it is an electrical problem but to test that theory I did run twelve volts directly to the compressor clutch, started the engine, and still got no cold air. It may turn out that the freon left and the clutch is not engaging because of the low pressure switch cutout. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. I figured, at least, I should go through the electrical side first since I will have to pull the wheel, the wheel well and the air cleaner housing to check the freon.

2. MManzonelli

MManzonelli Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbia, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Manzonelli
    Eric,

Most likely you have a leak in the AC system and lost your freon. If that is the case, a low pressure switch activates and will not allow the compressor to engage and therefore saving the compressor.

To verify this, you will have to attch AC guages to the connection points and see if you lost your freon. If you have low pressure (something less than 20 psi) , you will have to find the source of your leak, repair it, evacuate the system (vacuum pump) and then install new R12. (Or possibly convert to R134)

Let me know if you have any questions.