328 fresh rebuilt motor installed | FerrariChat

328 fresh rebuilt motor installed

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Dec 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Just finished installing my new 328 motor that I picked up from TRutlands. It seems to run just fine but it is putting out a LOT of blue oil smoke.
    Granted there will be (i guess) some smoking until the piston rings seat themselves and seal off.
    My question here is how long will it smoke--50 miles? 400 miles? and how much smoke should I expect?

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Atlantaman,
    I don't know the answer to your question but I'm curious what happened to the original engine? Why did you order a new one from T Rutlands? And just out of curiousity...what does a 328 motor cost?

Birdman

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, what Birdman asked.

What was the main reason you got a new motor? Was it not working at all or poor compression?

By no means am I close to a rebuild, but I have two cylinders that don't have perfect compression. I'm thinking about rebuilding it myself in 2-3 years for the experience. It will take 5 times as long and cost me twice as much, but I really want to learn. I've rebuilt American I4, V6, and V8's.

4. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Looong story.

My car sat for 15 yrs without a motor due to my 330 heads getting stolen by a mechanic in Tucker.
    I had a credit with TRutlands for a bunch of parts they sold for me.
    A used 308v4 motor came in on trade with NO history known.
    I took it and rebuilt the top end--bottom looked good and installed it.
    I did the EFI conversion on it but put injectors on it that were way too big 24 lb.
    The motor was running slightly rich and I had to set the injectors at minimum conditions and was not getting good performance.
    over about 3-4000 miles the rich condition was "washing" the cyl walls and scorched the rings.Also The oil analysis showed that the mains were getting ready to go.

I was going to rebuild it myself from top to bottom but got a really good deal on a 3.2 motor from Ted. The new motor works fine with all the EFI stuff and I got a new set of 19 lb injectors.

I figgured with machine work and parts it was going to cost me 4000+- to rebuild this motor and about 3 months of time. I got a trade in for it and am ready to go---
    Took 5 weeks from starting to remove old motor to now.

Rutlands sells motors for about 10k but with trade in and adding a few spare parts I had , my price was substancially better. I will not post it here since Ted and I are close friends and I get a better price than normal--but all in all, it was the best route to take.

Rob--I really enjoyed tearing the 308 motor down and rebuilding it but I would leave the valves, pistons, crank work to a professional. Also I was always just a bit worried when something was a little out of tune --paranoid that I had done something wrong. In hind sight--I learned a LOT and "understand" the motor better--but think I will drive a bit more securely knowing the new motor was built by a professional.

and when I start rebuilding my 330 motor this experience and "training"will be well worth the cost of a dead 308 4v motor.

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    was just told that rebuilt motors are "pickle'd" with oil and will smoke a lot for 30 mins +- when cranked--if still smoking a lot after that--there may be a problem.

will follow up in a few days when i have a few hours on it

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Funny, I was thinking it would be cool to have a "spare" motor so that one could pull a motor and swap it out, then rebuild the first one without having to rush. How easily does a 328 motor fit in a 308? I forget the stats on the 328 motor, but it has a good deal more power than a 308 motor, doesn't it?

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not sure how hard it would be in a late model FI 308, but a carb car would be a LOT of trouble... :)

8. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    well it was very easy--it fits to a 308v4 trans case exactly and the intakes and exhaust are the same too. the only difference is in the crank.
    I had to machine about .060" off of the dampener to get the pulley shives to line up correctly. and the flywheels are different( pick-ups are different) but since I am using EFI--- no problem.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    So in theory, you could upgrade from a 308QV to a 328 & keep the original 308QV intake plenum & CIS setup. also the 308QV exhaust manifolds. Of course, the 328 plenum has some pizazz of it's own.

Hmm, while the flywheel & pickups may be different, I'd be surprised if the amplitude & timing of the generated signals is different. Sure would be a nice upgrade if the original electronics could be preserved.

10. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    there are several that have tired this and ALL have had to convert to EFI--the 328 motor uses a completely different kind of injection--the phasing is different and the marelli electronics seem to go bannanas.
    You will have to convert to EFI to put a 328 into a 308v4

11. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    I think you mean a different ignition, as the injection is virtually identical in both cars (Bosch KE). The ignition in a 328 is Marelli Microplex and is not compatible with the 308QV Marelli Digiplex ignition.

12. AndersJL

AndersJL Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2001
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    AL
    Do you have any pics. and instructions of how to remove / install the motor ?
    -Any special tools / jack needed ?

Any input would be of value since I am planning to remove my 328 GTS -87 motor next year.

Merry Xmas, and thanks in advance,
    Anders in Sweden

13. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    ric--correct you are--i got distracted for a sec and fumbled it. ANYWAY--you may be able to change the flywheel and use 3.2 block but the 308 injectors (CIS) will likey be a little too small and will cause the motor to run too lean---

I just got mine cranked and with the EFI, it was a snap--30 secs of changing variables and all fixed.

14. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Anders, on a 308 gtsi body I had to install motor from above and i think you can come from under side for 328 so i can not be of much help