328 spitting, Now I'm pissing | FerrariChat

328 spitting, Now I'm pissing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jarends, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    I mentioned that I would post back when the problem I had with the 328 GTS was solved. Well, I finally picked up the car on Saturday. I never knew that it had that kind of power. Feels like a new car.

I'm lucking to have found Exotic Car in Frenchtown, NJ. Will knows what he's doing. Thanks Oscar.

The problem: a clogged fuel filter!!!!!!

Sooooo: I spent $2000.00 plus for the first guys to replace the caps, rotors and plug, but the problem came back. Will told me I didn't need that work. His bill was $2000, but alot was done and honestly, so I'm down $4000. You got to love it.

I am going out today and taking it for a spin(I'm off for this week so eat your hearts out), the way its running we can't help ourselves, it's an incrediable difference.

Augustine: what do you think of that.

The Fuel filter sits right behind the driver's seat in the engine compartment. About as big as a small jar all metal. When Will took mine out he said it was never changed since the car was new. He couldn't force air through it it was so clogged. I guess we should check our filters.

John

2. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    John,sympathisize with your plight. If you're mechanically inclined, post questions here or on JRVs site & usually someone can walk you through diagnosis. Now it's never a *bad* idea to replace plugs, wires, and caps on a car over a decade old (assuming not replaced previously), but total parts investment is about $500-550 for caps, $300 for plug wires+ extenders, and $80 for plugs (less if not champion?); in all <$1k. I posted a "how-to" changing fuel filter in "parts & service" section you may want to look over (or possibly not, filter is about $16). Most repair procedures aren't that difficult (except for the "step 1: disassemble car" I saw in another post the other day!) & you can do yourself & save significant amounts of $.

Hopefully once you sort this out won't have any more difficulties for a good while.

:) Carl

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    John,

Thanks for posting this. I am curious as to whether my filter has been checked in the recent past. Is it something that I can tackle on my own? I'm glad to hear that the car is finally running strong. We'll have to get together after the New Year! Let me know when you are free.

-Augustine

4. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    John, isn't the fuel filter supposed to be replaced with the major service??? Mine was... I just checked my 30K receipt and the cost of the filter was $36.95.

I'm just glad somebody figured out your problem... you should be much happier now! :)

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

John, it is the same with Drs. the best one are great diagnosticians. Must feel good to have confidence in the car again. You and Linda go have some fun!!!

6. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Hello Friends,

We drove the car around on Monday and can't tell you how different it drives. I never thought it could pull like it does now. I'm sure to get in trouble.

Bob, I had the belts changed when I bought the car, but they probably didn't know the location of the fuel filter, that's why I don't go there anymore??? Whatever, so far so good. Dave you couldn't be more right.

Although it is New Years today and I wish everyone of you the best for 2004, Healthy, safe, prosperous, happy, etc, etc, I'm very down about the trouble that Andrea's having with her back, especially when there isn't a damn thing I can do to help. They haven't had a good year and they deserve a much better one.

Augustine, I can't think of anything that would be more enjoyable then getting together soon. Linda and I thought of a new approach. After all it's the driving that we want to do together with everyone, we should plan trips and bring a box lunch and stop anywhere along the way and have lunch picnic style. Anyway just a thought.

Regards to everyone and blessed New Year.

John and Linda.

7. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    has the car not been serviced properly??

NO new filter??? if so I would sack ythe garage that been servicing it!!

8. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Mr 355 the answer is "NO" and the second answer is "Yes" they're gone.

I'm thinking of going back to them for some recovery, good luck though.

John

9. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    John,

That sounds like a great idea! Tell Linda that Josie and I would love to do that when it is convenient for all of us. Let me know. :)

-Augustine