330 Cam Roller Question | FerrariChat

330 Cam Roller Question

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 330BRC, Feb 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    During a routine valve adjustment on my 330GTC today, I noticed some wear marks on the right bank roller followers. Most of the right bank rollers show a similar pattern. The wear lines are very fine, like ghost lines. I can not feel them by touch or by edge of a nail. The left bank rollers look bright and normal. Is it time to replace the affected rollers? Also, does anyone have an idea why the wear pattern affects only one bank?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Brian, first I would remove the worst block as a sample and inspect closely. Check roller bushings. Check the lateral play clearances of the rockers. Make sure oiling passages are clear, etc. You may find nothing abnormal, but you'll never know.

john

3. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    I inspected all blocks, hardware, cams, and passagesI found nothing abnormal. I will put the engine back together and inspect again in a few thousand miles. I suspect that the heat treat may be a little light on these rollers, Thank you for the advice.

4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Brian,

if all rollers on both sides would look like this I would assume that there is a problem with surface hardening/ heat treating.

But as it is just one side there come two things to my mind:

1.) two different batches of rollers. Perhaps one side changed at a different time? Then it would be my assumption as above. Any history on such work?

2.) Problem with oil accesing rollers on one side of engine. One way to check could be to get a garden presurized sprayer and to fill this with engine oil and connect this to the engine via the connector for the oil presure gauge. You will hopefully see the oil coming out of the gallerys on same amounts. I preoiled my 250 engine this way.

Christopher

John Vardanian likes this.