360 F1 Oil Change | FerrariChat

360 F1 Oil Change

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by MKvarda, Dec 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MKvarda

MKvarda Guest

The factory recommended oil is Shell Helix Ultra 5-40w, where can this oil be purchased in Southern California? What other oil is an acceptable alternative to Shell Helix Ultra 5-40w? Thank you.

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Mobil 1 can be used and won't affect the warranty. The dealer has Helix and will want $375 or so to change your oil. I'm sure thre are some specialty shops that carry Helix, price $10 - 20 a quart.

3. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Are you sure NOT using shell helix will effect one's warranty.?
    Just had the 5k mi service on my '03 575 and the S mgr stated it would jeopordize the warranty if not used.

4. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Shell Helix Ultra can only be purchased at a Ferrari dealer. I have tried to get it elsewhere but with no luck. The wholesalers have told me, "Good Luck but you will not get it".

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yes I'm sure it won't affect the warranty. I called FoOC and verified. I had an independant do an oil change for me with Helix and he was able to get it from a distributor. The independant is in Huntington Beach.

6. MKvarda

MKvarda Guest

Thanks for the info, however it seems like there is a difference in opinion regarding whether using an oil other than Helix Ultra will affect the warranty. In my case since my warranty is just about to expire, I am more interested in what is the best way to go in the future. I am about due for my 5,000 mile service, any recommendations regarding where to have the service performed, and how much I should expect to pay would be appreciated. The car is located in Thousand Oaks.

7. mensi

mensi Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    About $900 for the 5K service including all fluid changes at FoOC. Make sure you have a list of any and all warranty issues. ALan Woodard is a great service manager. (I stuck with Helix)

8. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Short story here....
    I recently bought an F40. After putting a few hundred miles on it, I checked the oil and it was lower than I would have liked. I checked the records and it seems like this car used about a quart every 500 miles or so. This IS normal for an F40. I don't know WHAT oil had been used, but I went to FoOC and bought the factory oil and filter from Chris. In over 1000 miles it seems to have used very little oil.
    I have an oil sponsorship for my race car and get another brand of oil for free. I will gladly pay for the factory oil.

Rick