365 GTB/4 Daytona vs 575M | FerrariChat

365 GTB/4 Daytona vs 575M

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1racer, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    In the january 2004 issue of ''Classic & Sports Car'' they compared the Daytona to the 575M.(I suggest to you guys to buy this magazine)

So while reading this magazine I was saying to myself how beautiful both cars are with their amazing front engine V12 and I was asking myselft which one I would take.......hmm
    .....the Daytona!!

Note: The guy said the 575M is more usable because the 365 GTB/4 Daytona you get soon tire of hearing the carbs go off song after a spiritied blast or replacing clutches regularly if you try to drive one every often in town.

Oh yeah.. I like when he says at the end ..
    talking about the 575M .....''Just wish it looked a bit more like a Daytona''

Anyway...
    Your choice...365 GTB/4 Daytona or 575M ?

Like I said before ...365 GTB/4 Daytona for me. :)

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO

But I love the lines of the convt 365 GTB/4

3. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    575M - Its a beauty with 500+HP, gobs of torque and an f1 gearbox.. great GT.

Daytona is awesome too.

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Hmmmmmmmm, Geeeeeeeeeee, Dang, what a tough decision. I just dont know?????

Are you freaking kidding me?????????????????????

DAYTONA BABY!!!!

Terry

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    If money were no issue than probably a 575 for the modern advancements but when you look at the disparity in price a Daytona will cost less than half what a 575 does.

When doing a comparison where money/cost is calculated in it's not even close the Daytona whips the 575.

I read the Classic Car article and it was well done.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

6. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Interesting - I've always wondered how you factor in price when comparing cars. Is a KIA a better car than an Enzo when you take price into consideration? After all an Enzo is not 30 times faster than a KIA, they both have 4 wheels, and the KIA actually gets better gas mileage.

:)

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Terry, something tells me you are a bit biased :)

It really is a tough choice. The 575 just has a rediculous amount of power and it was a BLAST to drive. Ive never driven a Daytona but Id imagine it is a little bit different...perhaps a car with more charachter. I could easily lean to either side of this decision but for now, I think I could go with a Datyona. I love the sound of carbs chirping, and Daytona prices are bottomed out right now. I can easily see them skyrocket to Cal. Spyder prices sometime in the future!

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Tough choice, I like them both. Of course the 575 is a lot more convenient & user friendly & its way fast & gorgeous but the Daytona is 100% Old School Classic & undervalued too boot.

Now a 550 Barchetta Vs a Daytona Spider i'd take the Daytona any day

What about a Competition Daytona Vs Ferrari's new 575 GTC ? :)

I guess I'd just have to have 1 of each :)

9. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Well....that's assuming you would want both cars. I am comparing two cars that I think are both very alike. They are both V12 front engine Ferraris built in limited numbers and are fast as hell. Both have a competition heritiage (Daytona Comp coupe and 575 GTC LeMans car) and both were driven by professional race drivers. Both are made by the same company.

Uhhh................what exactly do the KIA and Enzo have in common besides four wheels and they run on gas????

We are talking about two desirable cars in this comparison. The KIA isn't a desirable car.

Regards,

Jon

10. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    Daytona in a heartbeat!!!

11. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I know it is classic but somehow I don't like the front look of the Daytona, I have to vote for the 575M

12. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
  13. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Jon - It was a a tongue in cheek comment that I made. I just personally find it hard to bring price into the picture when comparing two cars. The magazines do it all the time. They compare two cars and one is better than the other then they bring price into the equation and because one is $5,000 more than the other, the less expensive car leapfrogs into the winner spot.

Now I know price is a consideration but it doesnt mean the less expensive car is better. For example take a P GT3 compared to a 360CS. If price were factored in, the Porsche would win everytime, hands down. However, if you gave someone $200K and said buy one of these cars and you dont get any money back - I would suspect that the CS would get chosen 70%+ of the time vs the Porsche.

You make a good point - desirability. You have to ask if you desire both cars. In the case of a 575 and a Daytona, some prefer the classics and would prefer a Daytona regardless of the price difference. Others, would evaluate based on performance, handling, comfort, reliability etc. and say the 575 is a lot more car - but it also costs a lot more. Then price becomes an issue.

Regards

14. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Picked up the magazine the other night. Great read.

WITHOUT A DOUBT THE DAYTONA!!!!!!!!!!!

The black one I saw at concourso italiano last summer confirms my thoughts!!!

Happy 60th, pagey!

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Daytona Plexi , Rosso Corsa with Nero .
    9' Cromodorra.

16. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Give me the maranello...but NOT the 575, the 550, because its basically as fast as the 575, has a gated 6 as standard fair, is a far better value right now, and is in my opinion better looking from the front, and also has a much more traditional ferrari interior, what with those gorgeous daytona seats (new ones dont do it for me) and the proportional gauges:). fiorano HP please too.

17. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Since I own both a Daytona and a 550, I guess I am entitled to an opinion. My daytona (s) are gorgeous, but I certainly would not drive one on a long trip. They are uncomfortable, the heat does not work properly and even when the A/C works, it is is weak...the Maranello is more powerful, more comfortable and has gorgeous lines as well. It is not yet a classic but will be in time.

When I was searching for a 550, I considered trading. I would not trade even...so that means each car has its own merits. I wanted to have both. I do not regret that decision. I have driven my 550 in the last few months more than I have driven my blue daytona in over 25 years.

Yet I dont want to sell either.

18. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    What is the mood on the desireability of the 550/575? obviously everyone here likes them, but will they be collectable? I am surprised at how the prices fall, they are beautiful cars, you would think the move back to front engine would be considered classic, not untraditional vs the 512's. I like them the best actually, and does anybody prefer the 550 over the 575? seems lighter yes? handles better? and lastly, any word on the replacement? nobody talks about it so much, even though its closer than the 420 or whatever.

19. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    I'll keep my Daytona thanks (at least for now), but the 575 is to my mind by far the classiest of current Ferraris - Enzo included - so when I get a bit older & mellower I might trade.

Or maybe I'd get a 365GTC instead.. Damn, all these front engined V12 2 seaters are just so wonderful whether they're from 1970 or 2003....

John

20. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I don't have the article here, but I remember that I was not very impreesed with it. The writer had not done very much research on the Daytona ("the Daytona has no gated shifter"?).

The 575 is 100K more expensive, but after 3 years they are worth the same!

Rijk

21. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I have very high hopes for the 575 successor & am on our local dealer's list. As for what is "collectible," I'd think the relatively large number of Maranellos produced would keep long term values down. Perhaps the Barchetta will prove to be collectible?

IMO the increasingly large number of $150k cars and folks who can afford them is going to force a redefinition of exotic and exclusive. I sometimes wonder whether Ferrari should bother selling a car priced under $200k.

22. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    really, they dont. ok, a few grand, but remember that only one generation ago, couldnt you squeeze a 355 in for about 135k new? now a modena I think is what, realistically, minimum base price 155, and then some how I see stickers of 180K. Spider is at least this, more like 190ish. Stradale is 200K. I wonder if they will do a maserati sports car, something akin to a dino, as the 3xx have attained performance on par with the v12s now. But i agree, though the maranello was produced in large numbers, still gorgeous, light years ahead of the 512 in design. and the successor NEEDS to be something great based on the competion, think about what you need to pick it over...bentley GT, CL65, Vanquish, SLR. Thats several cars, all good too.

23. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    If it was a 365 Daytona Spider, no question, that would be the car.

Coupe vs. coupe? 575M, hands down.