512TR | FerrariChat

512TR

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 512Girl, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512Girl

512Girl Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Rachel *~*~*
    I've been told, by different people, that if I fit a Tubi Exhaust and take off the cats, I will have a problem when it comes to MOTing the car, because of the emmissions. Is this correct? Or would it be better just to fit the Tubi and leave the cats? If so, would it still sound as nice?

Also, have you any advice regarding track days, if we take the cats off? Will it be too loud for places like Castle Combe, Goodwood, Thruxton etc.

512Girl

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Unless you have a v friendy MOT tester, it's safe to assume you will have probs if you replace CATS with test pipes at MOT time.It's common for the CATS to be put back on for MOT and replaced after the car's passed it.The cost will be £200 ish and i'm told it's no big deal ! I'll let you know later in the Yr as mine will be having it's 1st MOT since Decat Tubi went on.

The test pipes defo. add the oomph-for want of a better word- for me and the sound is very different from a Tubi that still has Cats, especially at high rpm.Having said that, the Decat Tubi may be too loud for some and these things are very personal .

My car registered off the DB scale at Goodwood this Summer, as did 360Spider's who still has Cats , so track days will be restricted to noise tolerant tracks.
    Regards
    Tony

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  4. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    de-catting (having added a Tubi already) makes a big difference .... the TR/M sounds RAW!!!!! tonal quality is improved - exhaust/engine note pitch goes up an octave - believe me its outrageous... a sort of roaring bellowing note...
    puts a permanent end to overheating thermocouples in cats shutting down banks of the engine - big 512 problem... also gives a LOT more power - 'specially on THIS car.
    tubi on own -no effect on MOT. once de-catted re-fit for annual MOT... much cheaper than buying new cats....
    hope thius helps

Manu

5. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Manu, I have a 90 Testarossa fitted with a Borla exhaust. The sound at idle is disappointing but it does growl quite nicely at higher revs.

I haven't heard a tubi on a Testarossa but have heard a custom exhaust which Kent High Performance produce for the car. The Kent exhaust has a larger bore than the tubi apparently (the tubi actually has a smaller bore than the stock exhaust I believe!). I would appreciate any feedback on the relative merits of these exhausts that you can provide. Would I really notice an improved exhaust note by switching from the Borla?

Incidentally I just failed a Goodwood sound check with the Borla last summer.

Steve

6. bazzis

bazzis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sarratt, Herts
    I've no cats on my 512TR,also highly modified silencer!, will be taking it to Verdi on Monday 23rdFeb for cambelt service, come and listen if you fancy a drive......