550 differences | FerrariChat

550 differences

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rennen, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    I'm starting to look for a 550, and I was curious as to the differences between years. Price wise I would be looking at a 97 or 98. Any thing to look out for besides majors and mileage?

F456M likes this.
  2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    definitely check through the old archives. lots of info there.

make sure all the recalls were done. get a PPI by a mechanic who has worked on many maranellos. etc. etc.

no, no major differences between the years. some new options came available in 2000 (eg: FHP), but that's about it.

doody.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Just make sure the car has had all the recalls done, and has been properly sorted out / maintained. So long as that's the case, you should have no issues with an earlier year car.

--Dan

PS: I have a 97. If you want some pointers on niggling stuff, feel free to ask. I can tell you that I was a bit worried about the actuators, but it seems that they are all bad. Make sure yours aren't spinning (literally spinning in place, thus twisting the cable). If they are, be sure to demand a replacement gratis.

4. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    hi there, ive got a 99 550....what are the actuators? sorry if I am being dumb?

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The actuators are basically a two-step motor that turns a valve on the shock tower to control how much rebound youget. Upon start-up, it will spin fully in each direction. When you press 'sport', it will turn the valve ~1/4 inch to make the ride 'harder.'

Apparently, on the front actuators, spinning occurs. This means that instead of the little motor inside spinnign the crown sitting on top of the valve, the whole unit turns (perhaps the valve turns as well, I still don't know). As the unit continues to turn, it will spin the wire, which will eventually, I am told, snap out of place. I have never seen this happen, but I suppose it's possible.

There has been no fix, per say. I took mine off and 'unspun' them - it takes 30 seconds once you figure it out.

I wish I had the service CD with me...I could bring up a picture from that, or even take a picture of my own car. Will do so tonight.

--Dan

6. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Bobafett-not to hijack the thread, but does your service CD have coilover ratios in it? I posted ? in tech, but saw in your reply you have service CD...local dealer has incomplete hard copy manual, hasn't lowered any Maranellos.
    FWIW, I'm on second Maranello, love 'em. 360 is great car, but too frenetic for daily use, feels like you have to pound it all the time, Maranello just does what you ask, whenever.

F456M likes this.
  7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I will check for you.

--Dan

8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Sfumato.

The only way to lower a car with coilovers like on a 456/550/575 is to slacken springpressure. You turn the bottom «nut» down and the car lowers. But when you do that, the car becomes softer and you ruin the handling of the car. I bought a 2002 Maserati Coupe that Shelton in Ft. Lauderdale had done this to «for track use» according to the invoice that came with the car. The car was very dangerous to drive over 100 mph. It was like driving a boat with a bad steering. Impossible to make precise overtakes with hard accelleration and braking. After a few months I figured out what was wrong and I adjusted them back to normal. The bottom spring nut adjusted about 2 inches up which result in the car reising a little less than that. Then the car was rock solid on the road up to 140 mph. which was the fastest I did with that car. Don’t mess with it. The suspention is perfect from the factory in my opinion!

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- That post is from 15 years ago and Sfumato has been gravely sick for quite a while. Adjusting ride height within a narrow range (no more than 15-20 mm) will not adversely affect handling. 2" or 50.8 mm of ride height change is a ridiculous amount to adjust and definitely out of the shocks' optimum operating range.

F456M and NE550 like this.
  10. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    Jeez, can't believe that was 15 years ago.

RIP, Dan. Crazy to read responses from friends no longer with us...

11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ok.

Sorry I did not know he had passed away.

The car became about one inch higher. I think adjusted the nut about two inches up on the shock. The car had very low miles and the adjustment was done in 2004. The car only had about 15.000 miles more in 2017.... I found this very suspect as it had left the USA in 2010 and only one owner since in Sweden with a documented history since. How they could have used it on a track in America at high speed is hard to understand, so maybe the adjustment was so unsuccessful that he just left the car in a garage... Anyway, it was a lovely car with the best sound and very very fast and with good comfort, but a seriously bad fuel economy. With the cruise of at 80 kph. which is the best speed for most cars when the air drag is still low, the car was not possible to get under 11 liters per 100 kms. It also had about 3.800 rpm. in 140 kph. which is very high rev for a 4,2 liter V8 for that modest speed. So it was more expencive to run than a 550 Maranello. I sold it with a small profit and am ok with that. I really hated the engine noise being that much at speed. This car could also have had a longer ratio differential!!