87 TR No Spark at Coil | FerrariChat

87 TR No Spark at Coil

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 2mmuch, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    My 87 TR turns over but won't fire up. I have a coil attached from the left coil and the other side is about 1mm from the car frame. I see a spark when I turn the key to the on postion but there is no spark when I turn it over. I checked the round connections under the right rear fender and there on tight. Any Ideas.
    Thanks
    Lou

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    "I have a coil attached from the left coil and the other side is about 1mm from the car frame. I see a spark when I turn the key to the on postion but there is no spark when I turn it over."

I don't understand this. I thought that the coil wouldn't fire till it is in the "start" position. Are both banks out?

Possibly an ECU?

3. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Hi Henry

Yes it looks like both sides are out, yes if I turn the key on and off a spark will arc out both times but not in the start postion.

4. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Sorry. I ment I have a coil wire attached to the coil and the other side of the wire is about 1mm from the frame of the car.

5. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Hi Lou: It is time to buy a 25-pin Ferrari test connector box. With this one can tell if there is any voltage going to the coils, from the ECU, while cranking the engine. It is the same box that also tests the fuel ECUs. I haven't used it yet, but I am sure it will come in handy..........soon!!!!!!!!!!

I bought mine from a Ferrari dealer, for about $225.

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Using a cheap multimeter to test the crank sensors is the first step.

The white/black leads around the bell housing.

Each one should have about 750-1100 ohms across itself. Very common fault. Not hard or expensive to fix yourself at home.

Coils also fail.....look at the stack of plates in the horseshoe/magnet around the coil pack, to see if corrosion has swelled them. If so, you're getting warm.

ECU's are very reliable in my experience. Many an ECU gets mis diagnosed due to bad connections to it.

7. REM9

REM9 Karting

Jun 17, 2001
    Finger Lakes NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Russ Moore
    This is sounding all too familiar. been there done this with my 86 TR. It turned out to be an errant relay. I copy the site where you can follow how I proceeded.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3937

Best of luck and let me know how you make out.

Russ

8. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Thanks Guys

I'll check the relays first and see what I find. I'll also do a quick ohm reading on the crank sensors to see what they are doing, and check the horseshoe/magnet around the coil. I'll post my findings.

Lou

9. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Got home today and before I start doing all my checks I thought I would give the key one more turn and it fired right up. So I turned it off waited for 1 hour and tried again and yes it fired up again. I think I'll let it sit until the weekend and try it then, seening I can't drive it yet until all the snow is gone. Thanks again. I'll report my findings next week.

Lou

10. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Sounds like a sick dog that knows it's at the vets and gets suddenly better.....sneak up to it quietly and surprise it.......

11. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    You know Phil your right. I tried sneaking up on it tonight but it fired up again. I kind of wish it would fail so I could find this potential problem. You see with my luck come spring time I’ll probable be at a gas station , taking in all the glory. Everyone standing around and waiting for you to get in and fire it up and watch you pull away. When it would happen.