ALL THINGS BEENG EQUAL F1 OR 6 SPEED | FerrariChat

ALL THINGS BEENG EQUAL F1 OR 6 SPEED

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by drsrock, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I AM IN THE MARKET FOR A 98/99 355 SPIDER. I HAVE RENTED 6 SPEED CARS AND DROVE THEM FOR WEEKS, BUT NEVER AN F1 GEARBOX. NOW THAT I AM CONFRONTED WITH A CHOICE I WONDER WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST LONG TERM DECISION? 6 SPEED IS MY FIRST CHOICE, BUT GIVEN THAT A CAR IS A LIBILITY AND NOT AN ASSET I MUST CONSIDER RESALE. I ALSO MUST LOOK @ RELIABILITY AND POTENTIAL FOR MECHANICAL FAILURE, HOWEVER UNLIKELY (NOT TO MENTION REPAIR BILLS). WHAT OTHER THINGS SHOULD I CONSIDER? HOW MUCH SHOULD A CLEAN NO STORY LOW MI. CAR COST?
    SO I ASK YOU TO CHIME IN WITH ANY INSIGHT, SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS OR OTHER HELPFULL THOUGHTS AS TO THE PROCESS I AM ABOUT TO GO THRU TO FIND MY IDEAL 355. HOW DID YOU GO ABOUT IT? KNOWING THEN WHAT YOU KNOW NOW WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY? WHAT QUESTIONS SHOULD YOU HAVE ASKED?

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    o my god no doubt go with the 6 spd. I heard they keep resale much more since more people want a ferrari that you really drive. i love the f1 concept, but i'll always buy the manual.

3. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    F1 will certainly get you more $$ than a comparable 6 speed. However, the F355’s F1 gearbox is the first generation gearbox designed by Magneti Marrelli. While most of them performed well over the years, their reliability is not as good as those in the current 360 and 575. I have heard that the earlier problems could be corrected through a “very expensive” software upgrade, but you should check with an authorized dealer to be sure. I have driven both the F1 and the 6 speed, and my verdict is that the F1 can definitely shift much faster than I can.

On a different note, I’m old fashioned, so I would prefer my head to coordinate the movement between the gearbox and the clutch rather than a computer.

4. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    It's a tough choice. I just took delivery of a new 360 F-1 yesterday. I really wanted a 6 speed (and I am on the list to get one) but took an F-1 to try out. I have only driven the car for one day and certainly have not mastered the F-1 yet, but it does shift well and there is no way I could ever match the speed of the shifts. The double clutch downshifts are cool as well. I have driven manual trannies all my life and the biggest adjustment for me is to not take my foot off the gas when I shift the F-1. If you can spend some time with the F-1 you will probably like it. Most comments about only getting a six speed have been made by people who have never driven an F-1 or haven't driven it much. There is also a big difference between the F-1's made in 1998 and those made today.