Any Coke heads here...? | FerrariChat

Any Coke heads here...?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Coca-Cola people, relax... :)

Aside from collecting Ferrari stuff, i occasionally find something Coke-related and add to my small collection... i drink the stuff like water and was such a loyal fan that i decided to start collecting some stuff... i don't have much or anything really interesting but it's cool... Just wanted to know if anyone else is into that sorta thing, too... :)

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I have an old Coke metal sign in storage. (4.5 feet?) From what I've been told it was made back in 1950's. I had some offers on it but not ready to sell, it belonged to my uncle that passed away.

3. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    hey des glad to see your back

i did collect some coke related stuff as a kid

other countries have some really unique coke stuff
    i remember getting all these very cool cans in canada in the early nineties

ever watch foodtv - they had a special on bottle and can collecting-pretty interesting

4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Your title reminded me of my college essay that I wrote, as a joke, to the schools that I did not want to attend, but was forced to apply to. It's not really related, but I thought it was amusing at the time:

The defining moment came one dark day in the fall of 1999. I had only tried it one time, but I was hooked. Everyday, without fail, I would indulge my addiction— morning, noon, and night, the time of day did not matter. It came to the point where I would spend obscene amounts of money on this wonderful substance without a second thought. Naturally, as people my age so often believe, I was absolutely confident that I would never be harmed by my addiction. Yet, I soon realized that I had to stop.

As I reflect on these turbulent times, I now know what drew me to this spellbinding substance. Like most children of the McWorld generation, I was weaned on Coca-Cola. And so, when the translucent version of this drink was introduced, I soon was hooked.

Clear Coke became the poison I always picked, and I simply couldn’t get enough of the bubbling refreshment. Yet complicating matters was the fact that, at the time, my mother was going through a “health freak” phase, so, naturally, she would not allow me to drink a substance that she considered to be “complete garbage.” My mother’s loathing of Clear Coke hardly deterred me from drinking the heavenly beverage—quite the opposite in fact. Like most defiant teens, I too believed that anything that my parents considered bad had to really be good. And Clear Coke was not good—it was incredible.

As a consequence, I had to be furtive in my consumption of this enchanting elixir. Needless to say, the clandestine lengths I went to indulge my addiction verged on the pathetic. I shamefacedly recall, during one of my all-too-common late night study sessions, the craving for Clear Coke hit me like Barry Bonds connecting with a 95-mile-an-hour fastball. Thanks to my mother, there was nothing even resembling Clear Coke within the convenient confines of our apartment. Nevertheless, because I lived in New York City, I was surrounded by twenty-four hour delicatessens that might meet my addictive needs. Frantically, I threw on a t-shirt and sweat pants, grabbed my keys, and rushed out my door, yet I soon found that I had not exercised nearly enough caution in preparing for my late night excursion for, when I burst from my building, I quickly realized that the temperature outside would have made an Eskimo shiver. If foresight is the key to life, then at that moment I was certainly locked out. Nevertheless, I braved the bitter New York air and searched for a store that might deliver me my Clear Coke.

Thankfully, I soon found an all-night grocery store just moments from my home. I entered the inviting warmth of the Food Emporium and, making my way to the soda aisle, began looking for my prize. And yet, scanning the shelves, I soon saw that my beloved Clear Coke was not in its usual place. Quite perturbed, I grabbed the nearest sales clerk and demanded to know where my desired drink was being hidden. He looked down, smiled, informed me that the nefarious Coca-Cola Company had discontinued this most wonderful product.

I stared at him incredulously. How Coca-Cola could do this to me was beyond my comprehension, and yet, at what seemed like my lowest moment, a brilliant epiphany flashed before me. Is this really what my life had become—shuffling off in the dead of winter at three in the morning, clad in t-shirt and flip-flops, all just to find Clear Coke. My mother had been right all along about the evils of carbonated cola. In my shame, I turned and quietly left the supermarket, swearing off that devil’s drink forever and turning instead to another clear drink whose goodness was unimpeachable: water.

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    For a brief instant, I thought I was going to get to post my german shephard story. No, there's no smiley face at the end of that post. Well, unless your the dog in the story.

I'm at the 6th layer of Hell and working my way down the 'ferno. Coca Cola and "P" drink addictions are the least of my worries, one for breakfast, one for lunch, sometimes one with dinner. :)

6. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    I, too, drink way too much Coke, but as for collecting, my current thing is old skateboards. 60s surfboards are also interesting but take up too much space and have gotten a bit too pricey. But I'm into 70s and 80s skateboards. If you've got any in your garage, let me know!

-Slim
    (aka rich stephens, "dino2400" on the old forum)

7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I love diet Vanilla Coke

8. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    I used to drink Coke on a regular basis in high school. In fact we drank 7 cases between 2 people during a 2-day ski trip in high school. After that I didn't touch a Coke for 2 years. I have now switched to Pepsi (It is the choice of the new generation!)

9. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I drink a lot of Diet Coke.

DES, I don't really have anything too interesting collectible wise. I have an old 50's coke poster with a lady in a swimsuit on it(original, not reproduction) and a few old bottles. I used to have an old coke machine, but I sold that.

The thing I got the most comments on was having a Coke fountain at home. I was a restaurantuer at the time so I had a fountain installed at home as I had become addicted(still an addict) to fountain coke instead of bottles/cans.

10. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    PEPSI
    PEPSI
    PEPSI
    PEPSI
    PEPSI

Oh...ok..Vanilla Coke with Capn Morgan, that I can do...

But otherwise...

PEPSI
    PEPSI

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Lesterm: nice to see you here too. Hysterical essay - how did the school respond? I would LOVE to see an essay reader's reaction to that one! :D

--Dan

12. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I have a couple of C/C related items, but the only one that I think is kind of cool is a bottle from the 1983 (I think) K. Derby. (Horse race) Also a couple of cans from other countries.

13. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Count me in, brotha....hell, just last week I was at World of Coke in Atlanta...interesting place to visit!

14. Ronald Steinhoff

Sep 17, 2002
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ronald Steinhoff
    I have one Coca-Cola everyday between 10:30 am and 11:30 am.

15. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Hey Dan :) I actually got in to all the schools I sent that essay to, go figure ::shrug::

16. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Oh yeah, Coke is good stuff! DES, what I tend to do is bring back a Coke can/bottle/etc... from whichever country I visit. Some things of interest: Outside the US they use glass bottles more than cans. In Europe, it seems to be common to serve Coke with a slice of lemon in it. (It's actually really refreshing!)

BTW, when did they make Clear Coke? I remember Pepsi Clear...loved that stuff, but don't remember a Clear Coke? Geez, am I losing my memory?

Alex

17. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I was actually referring to Pepsi Clear in my essay; however, 'Pepsi' didn't really fit in too well; so I created my own product.

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sorry,DES,I'm a Pepsi guy too. Did the Coke thing for awhile in the early 80's, but it didn't work out. :( But,I do remember that back in the late 1960's,when I was a kid,you could order CocaCola Bell Bottom pants from Coke. They were red and white "striped". All the rage for the teenager in those days. That was back when pop came in 8 packs of 16oz. bottles. No plastic 2 liter bottles. And us kids could take the bottles back for the Bottle Refund and use the money to buy A TON of penny candy. I still remember that they put cork as a sealer inside the bottle caps.

19. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
  20. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I feel your pain with your troubled addiction DES. I'm currently drinking one as I write this. Coke is really addicting stuff and I really believe it can become a habit if you let it. However it's better than being an alchoholic so I continue to drink it everyday.

21. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    DES, have friend who collects and is 'addicted' to Coke;

I'm old enought to remember when Coke was made with SUGAR, not this high-fructose corn surup crap....if you think Coke is good now, you should have tasted it before profit motive over-ruled product quality!!!!!

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Lestern, that's a cool essay... What was the objective of sending it in to those schools...? Why was it required...?

A lot of cool responses here... i used to a Pepsi head when i was a kid (but then i grew up! HA HA! :::ducking:::)

Coke was a major contributor to my first ulcer (and my second one, too!:)) but i still love it... Drink it everyday... Literally from the time i wake up 'til the time i go to sleep...

Way back when, they used to put actual cocaine in Coca Cola to make it addictive so people would continue buying it... They, of course, had to stop doing that after a certain time... Someone else probably knows the better facts on that... :)

23. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    DES,

You ought to try Coke "Light" from China. It taste soooo much better than Coke or Coke Diet here. And the cans are much, much cooler too. I'll pick you up some next time I'm over there.

24. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#24 maranelloman, Nov 12, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. true

true Guest

Addicted to Coke. I, like Tyler, have an in-home fountain machine in the basement! (nice one Tyler!)

It's arrival from ebay:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]