Braided hoses | FerrariChat

Braided hoses

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by GrahamS, Oct 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    I was thinking of maybe indulging in a set of braided coolant, fuel, oil hoses etc.

I can get them from http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~lfracing/home.htm but was wondering if anybody here has already fitted something similar.

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions as to whether, from an aesthetic point of view, you think they're a good idea.

If anybody already has them then any dos/don'ts would also be appreciated

2. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    When used on a race car (stainless steel braid is not popular as its heavy) you would normally cover in DL 25 heatshrink as the braid acts like a saw as the pipes vibrate against their surroundings. I think the braid that you slip over the existing pipe looks a bit c**p and it also means you can't see any damage/perishing of the functional pipework.

However replacing the standard brakelines with -3 teflon with stainless overbraid is a good idea.

Just my view.

Bernard

3. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    SS braiding is passe' and excessively pimp, if you ask me.
    I'm going nto redo my fuel hoses with Aeroquip StartLite, it's black braided with a spiffy red tracer on it. Get it from wherever you'd get Aeroquip in the UK!

4. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    This is true. I replaced all my fuel lines with stainless braided lines. After only a few months of use one of them made a nice valley in an aluminum bracket that it laid across. The braided lines are not any more heat resistant than non braided lines. I believe their main benefit is a high resistance to tearing.

5. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

The general consensus of opinion seems to be "Don't bother"

So I wont :)

Thanks

6. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Graham

It's worth replacing the brake hoses with braided ones.
    Try www.goodridge.net

Steve

7. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Thanks for the link.

I did replace the brake hoses on a previous car and the feel was tremendous. It's one less thing to fail at the MOT as well :)

I feel a modification coming on...

8. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    better clean your engine bay first. Simple and cheap modifcation! Ade :)

9. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    The bloody cheek of it :D

I have cleaned it and polished up all the black bits. Now it's looking ship shape again.

10. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I've been ill today (flu) , but that didn't stop me going out to the garage.... and vomiting in my engine bay... I couldn't hold it in and the smell of petrol just got the better of me. It seems vomit really helps clean up certain areas.

11. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Mate, looks like that blast down to Boxhill on Sunday wasn't such a good idea... looks like I passed on the flu bug - sorry chap!

12. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    ha ha, no worries mate. What bad luck. Thankfully it only lasted for 2 days for me... and I got to watch TV all day Monday so I'm not complaining :)

13. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan