Do single plate 348 clutches still need the flywheel to be packed with grease? | FerrariChat

Do single plate 348 clutches still need the flywheel to be packed with grease?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I know the 348s in 90 went to a single clutch disc rather than the dual disc but does the flywheel from 90 on still require to be packed with grease?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    As far as I know, ALL 348's (single and dual disc) use the Voith bi-mass flywheel which is packed with special grease. It seems that eventually all of them will leak. It really isn't necessary to replace them due to loss of grease, they can be repacked by an enthusiastic owner with a little help from the good information provided here.

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Yes.

I hope you've found the numerous and helpful threads in the old archives if you're contemplating this maintenance. All the information is there, including information on a tech bulletin regarding an increase in the amount of grease.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes, I did read through all of them. There was 80 posts in one thread. It was very informative. This is why I asked this question as I wasn't sure if it was for all 348s or not. Thanks.