F430 How do I avoid Check Engine Light when replacing headers? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 How do I avoid Check Engine Light when replacing headers?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ferrari1221, Aug 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

I live in Orange County, CA and had the same concern.

I installed Fabspeed headers with Fabspeed heat blankets. No CEL. I also installed Capristo brackets. Lost a TON of weight from the OEM Brooklyn Bridge mounting system.

They key to removing them is tools. To get the factory headers out you'll need lots of different tools. The new headers go in so easily you'll think you missed something. They WILL smoke (look in the RV mirror and you'll swear you're on fire) and stink for about 50 miles. After that nothing. You will definitely feel an increase in torque in the 4-5,000 RPM range.

Worth the piece of mind. About $3,500 bucks delivered and they include gaskets, new studs and nuts.

Ray

Attached Files:

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have put almost 4k miles since I got the headers. I had a CEL once and cleared it with my OBD reader. It has not returned since.

3. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Sorry, it was $3,500 for the *headers*. The heat blankets were an additional $1,500 and the tiny O2 pre-cat imitators were $275.

Ray

4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

5. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
  6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    One thing I feel compelled to mention here.

I had the service manager at a local Ferrari dealer say to me "If we install your after market headers, you WILL pass California SMOG inspection;"

I'm from Philly. I know "It fell off a truck" when I hear it.

Just an FYI.

Ray

7. Tulsa328

Tulsa328 Rookie

Nov 14, 2022
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Chris Parker
    I just read your post and I am too looking for headers that won’t throw a CEL. What did you end up going with exactly and did it work? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I used Big Daddy O2 extenders. Easy to install. No CEL and it passed a SMOG check at a "Test Only" station with Fabspeed headers.

Ray

Tulsa328 likes this.
  9. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Just get the Trev tune.

10. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    So far so good with challenge headers on my 2009, no 02 extenders and no CEL. About 200 miles added since the install.

11. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Since this thread was brought back up, has anybody had a stock header failure after changing either the stock muffler mount to something that flexes or with another muffler like the stock sport exhaust that is made to move with the exhaust expansion?

12. Storms

Storms Rookie

Nov 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ron Tempest
    Just had my stock cracked headers replaced with FabSpeed headers back in September. Did a lot of research to find the best ones that had a reputation of not throwing a CEL. Headers plus blankets was around $5500. FabSpeed included the O2 extenders that I believe stops the CEL. I had a local shop do the swap and I'm happy I did since one stud broke while removing the old headers. It took them a day to remove the broken stud. Very happy with the new headers so far, only a couple of hundred mile so far with no CEL. The real test is the smog test that is due next spring, fingers crossed!

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Just keep an eye on the O2 extenders. My mechanic said they can loosen up.

14. Storms

Storms Rookie

Nov 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ron Tempest
    Thanks, I'll check them

15. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    I had just extenders on my f430 but would still get a check engine light occasionally. I changed to these https://a.co/d/bubLiCu And never had another light. They have a ceramic core that must help with stabilizing the heat? You have to punch or deform the cap where it meets the body of the device or they will just come off and the core will come out.
    Barry

16. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    I have the Ferrari Challenge headers and the Bid Daddy Mini Cats on my 2007 F430. I still get the CEL all of the time (code 420). I got a recommendation from an independent Ferrari mechanic to try simple extenders vs the mini cats. I just received some but haven’t had a chance to put them in yet.

17. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My recommendation is to stay away from big daddies

I have a set of big daddy's. I first tried them with out the 90... They didn't work.
    I pulled them out after just one day to reinstall with the 90s and noticed that the core on one had already failed.

I emailed the owner and simply asked how much for a replacement.
    He proceeded to send the most unprofessional, sarcastic replies I could imagine.

I will never deal with him or buy from him again.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I logged 3000 miles w my 360 w catless headers and several different extenders… big daddies, no name Amazon, and 90 deg catless extenders…., I found the cel would come on eventually after a random amount of drive cycles….

gave up on extenders… got my ecu’s tuned for permanent fix.

19. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Big daddies and extenders is a waste of time to me. The best way is a tune.