Ferrari laptop Computer - Nice !!!!! For Sale .... | FerrariChat

Ferrari laptop Computer - Nice !!!!! For Sale ....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kenyon, Nov 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Unfortunately it is made by Acer. Acer = Crap

Old FChat thread on the subject: Ferrari notebook PC

2. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Like every Ferrari, it's not the 1,299 pound cost for the computer that's the big issue, it's the 30K keystroke service that will kill you- Processor out, hard drive rebuild, and trying to change those little tiny belts is a real b...

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    It is true you have to have the processor out for the belts to be changed?

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yep, rather than getting a POS with Ferrari logos on it... get a laptop built like a Ferrari... with Aluminum for light weight and racy look... with an OS that is not virus-plagued or full of security holes... a PowerBook... a computer that's truly FUN to use.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/

:)

5. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    You can change the belts with the processor in the machine, but to change the tensioners the processor has to come out. Once you do that you might as well take out the fan and repack the bearings.

6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

I UNDERSTOOD THIS POST!

God help me I am a geek!

For the special ferrari laptop you need a set of special tools to plug it into a wall outlet . The dealer will tell you this is normal because of a dry sump cooling fan.

Memory leaks are also considered a feature, not a bug.

<pirate>Nerds we be harharhar</pirate>

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

October 29, ZDNet Australia — Three flaws discovered in Mac OS X. Security-research company @Stake has warned of three vulnerabilities affecting the Mac OS X operating system. The first details "systemic" flaws in the way OS X handles file and directory permissions, while
    the second details a kernel level vulnerability that does not affect default installations of the operating system. The third involves a buffer overflow condition that may be remotely exploitable. Apple has not yet released patches for the security issues. Mac users are advised to upgrade to the latest Apple operating system, which is not vulnerable to theflaws, for a fee.

:)

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I was thinking that the Thinkpad could use a bit of Rosso. Anyone ever painted a laptop? Any sugggestions?

9. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    A guy here used what is essentially a big sheet of sticker to color code our laptop machines permeanently.

It's worked out well.

We were worried about paint running if machines got to hot.

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I have seen tons of neat Ferrari mods to computers. I like this one - simple and great. There was one amazing yellow one I saw, but I think I deleted the pics :(

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Brian said what I did - bought a Powerbook, and of course put a scudetto shield decal on it I bought in Maranello. I also have over 100 1024x768 f-car pics for my desktop it randomly cycles through every time it awakes from sleep.

Was going to put test pipes and an ECU remap on it but was worried about the warranty issues.

12. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I don't want to turn this into a Mac thread, but I don't want any misconceptions spread...

Only an issue among logged in users... unexploitable from the outside.

Yes, you can go out of your way to make your system vulernable.
    But unlike Windoze, the default install is NOT vulnerable.

"that may be"... hasn't been shown to be, but in some
    theoretical sense it might someday be. That is in
    contrast to "can be, and now that we've announced it,
    will be within the next week, bringing havoc to millions
    of computers all over the planet." ;)

FWIW. I love Macs almost as much as I love Ferraris.

13. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Wow that is so cool.

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Damn wish IBM made these (or Apple did them as a special eddition... mmmm)

Brian- I'm typing this on a G4 Titanium Powerbook, sublime machine, just gets out of the way and lets me WORK!

Tillman- Holey ****! 3 possible vulnerabilities that are already fixed! It's the invasion of killer snails! Walk for Your Lives! ;)

Best!
    Ben.

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Just making a point about the "no security holes" comment. I'm not an OS bigot -- I think they all bite! They just bite differently.

Comes from working in this field too long. I sometimes wish I was like my wife. She just needs a box with 3 buttons: Web Browser, Email and Spider Solitaire....

16. cuore_rosso

cuore_rosso Rookie

Aug 8, 2003
    I wonder if http://macskinz.com/ could be convinced to make a Ferrari red one! They make custom covers for PowerBooks and iBooks. By copyright, they could not reproduce the F logo, but we could put that one on ourselves. :)

17. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I'm a powerbook user too. I was thinking the other day it would be fun to have someone fabricate a metal and plastic top(back of screen) that would light up a prancing horse instead of the apple. Has anyone either done this or seen this??

Brian, I'm a Mac lover too.

18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Tillman- agreed, it's just a question of 'pick your poision'.

So far my fav OS is SGI's IRIX. Huge power, and pretty darned good usability if you know what you're doing. What else runs on 2048 processors single-image, and has a version of Photoshop?

Damn thing still dosen't read my mind though.

Best!
    Ben.

19. macskinz

macskinz Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    #20 macskinz, Nov 7, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello,
    Our red logo-view MacSkinz are a very rich, vibrant red with a silver ring that encircles the glowing Apple logo. It would be very easy to take a Ferrari logo (from a magazine, brochure, etc...) and place behind the clear window. I magine a solid yellow field with a black F logo. The window is approximately 3" in diameter.

Thanks,
    Doug
    www.macskinz.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Doug,
    I'd be interested, maybe in a few others as well. Can you send me an email to discuss? Thanks!

Mark

21. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Acer is more than crap... Gah!

If you are truly looking for a computer, go and build one of your own.. AND DON'T SKIMP ON ANYTHING!

Mac vs PC is useless... both rock, for guys that drive I'd think yall woulda relized that by now! :/ :p

22. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    doug - those skinz are way cool, dude!

though i imagine some of them are NOT helpful when your'e trying to get through security at the airport (cf.)!

(A) do you offer an fchat discount?

(B) have you thought about doing these for other brands of laptops (eg: sony vaio)?

doody!

23. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
  24. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Not to enter any religious debate on OSs, but I do think its disingenous to talk vulnerabilities between OS and the boring Mac better than Win (no it isn't - yes it is) debate.

I think it just boils down to the fact that there's no point writing a mail virus for anything other than Outlook since its used by such a vast majority of the world's mail users.

Where would the cred be in a really cool virus that only affected graphic designers and other cool dudes with Macs? :)

EDIT EDIT - Just saw this about Linux :)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&ncid=1093&e=3&u=/pcworld/20031202/tc_pcworld/113700

EDIT EDIT

Back on this topic though - I think that Ferrari is treading a thin line here. Jackets, T-shirts, Shoes, toys - YES. Laptops, Perfume, Cameras - NO.

I think Porsche does a much better job of their *stuff* being true to their brand.