FLATOUTRACING's 355 Challenge for sale !!! | FerrariChat

FLATOUTRACING's 355 Challenge for sale !!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by FLATOUTRACING, Dec 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    First off I want to thank Rob Lay for his permission to post this here in the General Discussion area, which is generally not accepted.

Since I regularly post here and some of you have asked to be informed when and if the car is for sale I thought I’d ask Rob to post here where everyone checks in frequently rather than in the “ads” section where people check once a month.

I have made the touch decision to sell my baby! I won’t waste all of Rob’s bandwidth here so you can see most of the details on Ebay where it’s currently listed : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2448381957

Unlike other 355 C’s my car is somewhat unique:

-Never been raced
    -95 model can be made street legal
    -Never been rolled or badly damaged
    -Spent 75% of its life as a street car before being converted
    -All service records from day one (Dec 1st, 1994). No other Challenge car in the country has all the service records.

It came down to racing vs. track days and with time being limited I really enjoy racing and competition. This car is too nice to trade paint with other racers and to costly to repair if body damage ensues from such so I have made the tough decision to sell it.

I may end up getting a road Ferrari in the not too distant future, since I can't imagine not having an F car in my garage.

The car is on Ebay to kind of test the waters. I have an offer from an FOW customer who wants to race the car in the new GT series in Grand Am Rolex but the offer is below what I am currently comfortable letting the car go so I would be elated if someone here in F Chat bought the car and kept it in the F CHat community.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] or call me at (703) 435-5651.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    1995 F355 Challenge #23
    www.flatoutracing.net

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    You say it was the last challenge built in 1995, but it was used as streetcar first and later converted.

Was it originally delivered as challenge then? or listed as challenge because it was converted later?

Just curious

3. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Bob,

All Challenge cars (355's) were either converted at the factory or at an authorized dealer. My car was the last 355 Challenge car converted in North America in Spring of 2001. It was not the last 95 built but the last 355 Challenge built.

The car was a street 355 when delivered new and I purchased the last remaining 355 Challenge kit from FNA.

Regards,

Jon

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    What would be required and what would be the cost to make it street legal?

thanks

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Depends on your state requirements. At a minimum you would need to stick the quiet Challenge exhaust on to pass emissions and noise control. Headlights would have to be reinstalled.

Some states ban roll cages and harnesses some don't so it would depend on your state's rules.

Other than that and running street tires it would be pretty easy. Martin has his 355 c street legal in Florida without much hassle.

Regards,

Jon

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Well, Martin has his car not quite street legal. :)

Martin drives a toilet bowl on wheels because he has dealer tags.:)

You need to do minimum work. Lights have to work obviously, directionals have to, you will need to reinstall the 3-point harness but can leave the optional 5-point. Most states do not allow roll cags in street cars. This has been discussed before.You can take part of the roll cage an de-install it. Muffler needs to be put back on the car, CATs (in theory) and DOT legal tires.

For comfort a AC is noce as well as carpets and soundproofing.
    The financial cost of re-converting is oo high to justify. If you like a street car buy one. if you like a race car, buy Jons.

Jons car is excellent and we have seen video that is amazing. (Driver and car).

Jon, send me the details and I will list it n my website.

Martin

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Why in the heck would anyone want to make a Challenge car street legal. For the same price you could get a street 355 and add more aggressive suspension and some race goodies. Easier to go forward than backwards.

8. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Martin,

If you can email me your forms. I will get you all the info and some pictures this weekend. If you need my mailing address to mail the forms PM me and I'll send you my address.

Regards,

Jon

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks Jon - I was just curious as to what would be required - It's a great car & anyone looking for a track car would get a great car!

Great description on your ebay listing - All the info you could ever ask for!

10. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    best of luck with the sale, its tempting but my wife would flip. Question, the conversion cost nearly 45K? were 355 challenges so expensive back in 2000 that it was cheaper to convert a 355 than buy someone else's challenge?

11. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Andreas,

Back in 2000/2001 355 C's were going for about $130-$140 (summer of 2000). My main reason for converting the car was that I had some of the Challenge parts on the car and just sold the duplicates. The extra wing brought me 7K, extra wheels 2K, and the sale of my street Tubi exhaust and Brembo F50 brakes another 5K. So after selling surplus parts of 14K the kit cost about 20K w/out labor.

Regards,

Jon

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Why don't the challenge videos working on your site? I wanted to see those. :)

13. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    They were on F Chat for a long time but Rob had to pull them down due to bandwidth restrictions.

go to: http://www.f355.homestead.com/glen.html

There are some good ones there.

Regards,

Jon

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice, thanks!

15. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.

Jon,
    I am on my way for some exercise in Sebring tomorrow. Will do all of that on monday unless I can find your e-mail uick on my computer.

:)

16. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Jerry,
    I downloaded Jon's videos back when they were up... I'll burn you a copy and give it to you the next time we meet up. Martin is right. Nice car, and VERY good driving! :)

Byron

17. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    thanks for the info, Its acutally Tom, Andreas does have a similar handle. On the old site it used to show me also as tifosi (TomD)

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice - Thanks Byron - I always enjoyed watching Rob's track car and this one looks very similar. Was especially interested in the video of the 355 chasing an F40 around the track.

19. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Got it! I liked the one with the 333SP...and the other challenge cars.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jon should have all of these on his server now.

21. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I can attest to the fact that Jon has always kept the car in top condition, using FOW for everything (if I'm not mistaken). If I were to buy a 355C, I'd take a serious look at his. But....the next Squidracing car will be a Trans Am/GT1!!!!

His driving skills: so so (hahaha).

I'm sure the next owner of your car will be very happy with the car.

22. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    420hp? I don't think so! I'd like to see proof of that! Got before and after dyno charts?

23. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Jon, sorry to see you letting the car go! Im sure youll get something even better though :)

Your in-car videos on the track were GREAT in the 355C. I have them all on my computer :)

24. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Peter,

It's just an estimate. Maybe 420 is a bit optomistic. I do know that my engine when it was completely stock (street car) made a verified 384 hp at the crank. We had the engine dynoed on an engine dyno in 2000 (no drive line loss) when it was out to have the rear wiring harness replaced and some other work being done.

That was before the ECU software was reprogrammed. After it was converted to a Challenge car we took off all emissions gear. I also added a much better header system from Tubi that is worth some extra hp. Lastly I had a second set of TAP chips made up about 7 months ago after their first set actually lost me hp over the stock factory chips.

The Tubi headers are worth 4 hp, the Tubi exhaust gains another 3-4 hp over the standard road exhaust with all it's emmission's gear and the chips showed a 15 hp gain over stock chips on a chassis dyno (less acurate because of the driveline loss).

Add them up and and I get about 22-23 extra hp. If the engine was making 384 at the crank and we add 23 then we get somewhere close to 410, so maybe 420 is optomistic.

My car dynoed 309 with stock chips, 298 with the first set of TAP chips, and lastly a high of 323 with the second set of TAP chips.

Most of the OBDI engines on 95 355's consistently dynoed 7-8 hp higher than the OBDII engines, one reason the Challenge series here in the US used 95 engines in all their Challenge cars.

Matt,

You thawed out from the big snow storm yet? I actually drove the truck and trailer through that damn storm last week to go to VIR. My wife commented that I must be desperate to get out of the house to brave half a foot of snow to run a freakin Honda in 35 degree weather on a wet and icy track.

Happy Holidays and see you next season.

regards,

Jon

25. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Wow...I'm impressed with the research you did. Most people just talk out of their A$$ when they make HP claims. Interestingly, when I mucked around with my car and a couple of other 355CHs no changing of the exhaust or installing motec made any distinguishable difference in HP. We did not change the headers though.