Gil Nikels (Ferrari Owner) died last Thursday | FerrariChat

Gil Nikels (Ferrari Owner) died last Thursday

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Mule, Nov 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Gil Nikels, the founder of Far Niente Winery in Napa Valley died last Thursday after a long battle with cancer. He had a mid-1950's MM and many other great cars (some Ferraris). He bought the land around his winery for $100,000 an acre saying, "I am paying tomorrow's prices today".

Far Niente Winery is one tun off before Mondavi in the valley. Beautiful house surrounded by trees on a small plateau.

Off topic - this month's Forza has an article on a 575M driving in Napa Valley. And, you guys lucky enough to live out there, go to Andretti's Winery.

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Mule,

he was a great man. i didn't work with him very much, but he has done a lot of great things here, we'll miss him.

Vincent.

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    He will surely be missed. I never knew him personally, but knew people who did.

Best!
    Ben.

4. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Actually it's Gil Nickel, but he will be missed by everyone in the Ferrari world, as well as Napa Valley folks. A truly great man.

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've known Gil for a number of years, raced against him many times, and visited his winery. He was always friendly, and a very competitive racer. BTW, he was one of only three Americans to have won an FIA World championship. He won the FIA sanctioned vintage championship in his Lotus 23. He was particularly proud of that.
    He is sorely missed.