HELP! 308 to 348 wheel conversion | FerrariChat

HELP! 308 to 348 wheel conversion

Discussion in '348/355' started by JonnyT, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Has anyone ever put 348 wheels on a 77-79 308GTS? I have an opportunity to purchase some at a great price and I'm wondering what type of hassle I'm in for. Jonny

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My question would be: Why?

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Some one did it on a 328. It is possible with spacers and thats it really.

4. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    You're going to have to find someone to machine you some wheel spacers so they fit....search around, I believe some of the Chat sponsors can do this for you.

One other note, you're shoe-horning a 17" wheel into a space designed for a 14" TRX wheel - better have that suspension travel adjusted, otherwise you're going to grind out your wheel wells on every bump in the road.....a VERY bad happening!

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    yes you will need new rubber. (Lower profile)

6. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    Why????? You have to keep your Ferrari original.
    There was a guy who had 355 wheels under a 308, way to modern for such a car.
    My advice don't do it, but if the price is low and you have the money you can offcourse try it, its your own choice!

7. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    I don't necessarily disagree with you but the price is too good to pass up. Also, I intend to keep the originals. My biggest concern was in having to 'cut' or change anything. Spacers are about as far as I would go.

8. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    To Huskerntexas: Have you ever seen a 308 with 17's? They look fantastic.

9. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    There's more than enough reason to go to another rim size for a late '70s 308 - the ability to get better, more modern tires with better traction compounds. The 'stock' rims for a late '70s car were Metric TRX-sized wheels. I belive, starting in 1983, cars went out stock in 16", allowing the owner to get into other tire brands besides the Michelin TRX tires. With 16", you could fit Yokos, Goodyear, PIRELLI, Bridgestone, etc. Etc. Thus, you can find modern tire compound/tread technology that would give the car more traction and increased handling, certainly better than stock. A terrific upgrade, if you ask me....

If you can't out-run 'um, out-corner 'um!