MAYDAY! | FerrariChat

MAYDAY!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LRPMAN, Jul 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    On a 1988 TR is there a LOW VOLTAGE RELAY to stop the starter from working when the key is turned? Everything else works, starter does not engage. I turned on the headlights and they did not dim that much. Charging battery now, car has not moved in 45 days.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No relay involved (on an unmodified TR). When you turn the ignition key to the "start" position this should send +12V down the white (B) wire that is connected to the #50 terminal on the back of the starter solenoid -- check that first (but starter solenoid problems on TRs seem not uncommon).

Alternatively, (gearbox in neutral please) if you remove the white wire from the #50 terminal and then short the main +12V from the big cable terminal at the back of the solenoid onto the terminal #50 male tab on the solenoid, the solenoid (and then starter motor) should engage. (If this works, you can use it to start the car -- i.e., with gearbox in neutral, turn the ignition key to the "on" position, then short the +12V onto the 50 terminal manually to run the starter motor)

3. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Thank you, the problem was that when the battery drops bellow 48% charge the computer says no to start up (low voltage will butn the starter). The computerized battery sytem in the garage showed the cahrge at 35% but 11.7 volts as soon as the chrag ewent to 65% the car started. The voltage read was still 11.8 volts but the charge capacity was 65%. I recommend this new charging system from Autozone it is $79.95 and is the SPEEDCHARGER charges anything. Found out that the Porsche battery was only at 52% after an all night chrage with our old charger.
    Thanks again for the response.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad you got it working, but there is no intelligent connection on a TR that actively prevents the starter motor from running when you turn the key to the "start" position with a low battery charge state (but a low charge state would lower the voltage on the white wire to the solenoid so higher is better for that reason).

5. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Live and Learn!

6. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    buy a maintainer, they work great. Got mine from JC Whitney> A schumacer I believe.

J

7. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    The new battery charger has that feature.