milage, winter | FerrariChat

milage, winter

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davewapinski, Nov 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    A while back, someone asked what milage to expect.

This is based on an '89 Mondial t convertible (same engine as the 348).

In their literature, Ferrari claims some impressive numbers - something like 27 mpg. However, they also say something like this is based on shifting at the recommended speeds.

The 3.4 Ferrari engine loves to be reved. It sounds better, accelterates (sp) better, has better torque, etc. as it reves. One can feel the power coming on above 3,000 rpm. Of course the mpg is falling at the same time. I would not be surprised if it was 8 - 10 mpg.

On one leg of a recent trip I drove between Evanston, Wyoming and Cheyenne, Wyoming at night. Dry snow, wet snow, freezing rain, plus rain mixed with snow (did not have the top down). Speed between 80 and 105. It is a distance of 360 to 380 miles. Fuel burn was 16.1 gallons.

So it depends on the driving situation.

If the guages are correct, rpm for max torque in 5th gear gives around 105 mph.

Does the best economy come at max torque rpm?

I was surprised that I did not notice any tendency to fish tail.

Currently the Ferrari and I are in Oklahoma City. Last night it was 20 with a wind chill around 15. The Ferrari started right up this morning - no issues. Was concerned before starting, then pleased.