Mondial 308FI coil voltage fluctuation? | FerrariChat

Mondial 308FI coil voltage fluctuation?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pnorman, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    My coil voltage fluctuates from 8 to 12.5 volts. When it's above 11 volts, the car will start and run fine but will die when the voltage drops below ( I have a voltmeter attached to the positive coil lead for diagnostic purposes). I have to run a extra line to the coil to keep the voltage consistent. Somewhere between the ignition switch and the coils, I'm getting the intermittant fluctuation. The rest of the car wiring is at 12 volts plus and the alternator is working properly. I've gone thru the fuse box, checked relays and cleaned up connections. Anyone had a similar problem? Is it the ignition switch or the wiring from the switch to the coil? I have to disconnect the additional line to turn the ignition off. Help! Patrick

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i think you are on the right path. the ignition switch would be my educated diagosis, since you have run a seperate wire and got good results. since you have a meter see if you can eliminate the factory wiring before you start buying parts. trace and check each one for flow and continuity. i had a power wire shorted to another power wire that did a similar thing. one carried more amps than the other, the lesser ended up burning up.... ( umm found it!!!) regards. michael

3. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    Michael, yeah it's really strange...I can turn the key on to the first position and get 11.5 volts, turn it off and back on and get 9 volts. I'll be doing the wiring testing next...Thanks, Patrick