Not for me. | FerrariChat

Not for me.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricambi America, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

As yesterday was my birthday (don't ask), Mrs. Jack Russell suprised me with a number of great gifts. Scuda bear, new driving mocs, etc. But, she also decided to get me the Mr. Clear car system.

Since I wasn't about to test it on the f-car, I pulled the daily driver ('01 E38 BMW) into the driveway, and gave it a whirl. The result? It sucks llamas, and blows goats. I think the problem is simple: I have extremely high standards when it comes to shine, water beading, smoothness to touch, etc. The Mr. Clean system was like putting Jet-Dry all over the car, and the water immediately stopped beading (previously, I'm a Griots/Zaino/Zymol kind of person) and began to sheet. It never made it into little rivers, but instead just sat on the car. Yes, the car was parked on an incline.

I'm pretty impatient, but I was willing to let it "dry" while I finsihed up some detail work on the wheels. When it was mostly dry, I wanted to clean up the bits of excess in cavities, recesses, its. Guess what? The smooth as glass finish was totally gone. Cotton towels would no longer slide off the hood. It was "squeaky clean" -- but I'm not a fan of squeaky clean. I'll leave that to my dinner plates. I like a car with a velvet soft touch, smooth as glass finish.

What's worse, the black moulding on the side of the car has now developed miserable streaks that didn't buff out. I'll probably resort to the JIF peanut butter to fix that stuff. Thankfully, the 01 BMW has color matched rockers, or I'd really be steamed.

The glass was a mess.

While Mr. Clean says it doesn't strip wax, I find that VERY difficult to believe.

To fix the whole mess, I pulled out my over-priced Griots stuff and started from scratch. Fresh wash, fresh wax, back in business! Mrs. Jack Russell took it in stride, and said "Hey, let's give it to the redneck neighbor... maybe it'll work on his jalopy!"

I think this system is designed for folks who wash their cars monthly, and are content to just drive through a brush-wash when the grime builds up. For really type-A, anal retentive car wash freaks like me, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

-Daniel

2. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Peanut butter??

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes, creamy JIF, gently applied on rubber moulding will remove wax residue beautifully. Don't tell Richard Griot... he'll start marketing it for $50/jar. :)

4. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Now that is a great tip. I had no idea. Thanks! :)

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Check out the Mr Clean threads in the Off Topic section. A lot of us are satisfied with the product. You and one other guy seem to have problem with it.

6. ColaGuy

ColaGuy Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Full Name:
    Joel White
    I use the filter without 'their' soap. I still do a normal hand wash, and just us it for the final rinse. I have found that to work well for me.

Joel

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would be the other guy. :)
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12284

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    damn. learn something new every day! thanks for the tip!

9. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Griot does make some great products, but rest assured if told him about peanut butter, I would see it in next month's catalog for sure.